Plastic kegs cleaning - cant get smell out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic kegs cleaning - cant get smell out

We bought about 100 used plastic kegs from another brewery, and have rinsed them out with 185 degree water, then cleaned with hot caustic, then hot rise again with 185 degree water, allowed to cool then sanitize/purge with co2.

My problem here is that the smell of the previous beers is still really strong...apparently the last brewery used spiced beers in these kegs; it wont go away. We need to keg beers asap, but i am afraid this will permeate the fresh beer and it will take on the smell.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how we can get the smell out and completely neutralize the keg, or are we screwed because the kegs are plastic?

plastic kegs

Hey there, I have some experience with new and used plastic kegs. Please email me and I am happy to try to help. First thing I need to know is what manufacturer and generation kegs they are as the plastic varies wildly depending on that. A few pictures of the kegs would help.

Thanks.
    Luch Scremin
    Engine 15 Brewing Co.
    luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Plastic Keg Cleaning

Originally posted by Luch15 View Post
      Hey there, I have some experience with new and used plastic kegs. Please email me and I am happy to try to help. First thing I need to know is what manufacturer and generation kegs they are as the plastic varies wildly depending on that. A few pictures of the kegs would help.

Thanks.
      Luch:

I would be very interested in any details or experience here as well as we may have a similar issue as we begin cleaning the 150 used plastic kegs we purchased. I would be interested in the cleaning regiment you may have used in this scenario.

Thanks.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X