pH of finished beer affect on flavor, tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pH of finished beer affect on flavor, tests

Has anyone here done tests on their finished beer to determine what affect varying pH values has on the flavor? I'm wanting to conduct a test where we take a few samples of 1 beer and change the pH to identify the differences between them and determine what value we'd like the beer to finish at. We use food grade phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, calcium chloride, and calcium sulfate at the brewery. I think using phospho and NaOH to shift the pH either way in our samples would be a good way to go, but wanted to see if anyone has tried these chemicals for this test. Thanks for your thoughts!

Originally posted by rtockstein View Post
    Has anyone here done tests on their finished beer to determine what affect varying pH values has on the flavor? I'm wanting to conduct a test where we take a few samples of 1 beer and change the pH to identify the differences between them and determine what value we'd like the beer to finish at. We use food grade phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, calcium chloride, and calcium sulfate at the brewery. I think using phospho and NaOH to shift the pH either way in our samples would be a good way to go, but wanted to see if anyone has tried these chemicals for this test. Thanks for your thoughts!

it's easy to set up a titration to find your TA, this is a much more accurate representation of sour flavor than pH is. though pH does effect beer perception somewhat
    I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Working...
    X