Blichman Beergun from Brite Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blichman Beergun from Brite Tank

Could I hook up a blichman beergun right off my brite tank to fill bottles? I can't see why not, if I replace the ball lock with a 1.5" TC connection and attach to brite tank. 15psi in a corny keg, of 15psi in a 200bbl FV is still 15psi. Not saying I'm hand bottling 200bbls. But if I want to bottle a case or so, this would be a way to do it, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is possible, right?

I think using the Beergun over a counter pressure bottle filler will be way easier. Thoughts?

I first saw the beergun in use this way. Packaging at 15 psi though seems high to me with the Blichmann.Try it and adjust accordingly. Slow gentle fills are what you want, not a foamy mess. Ideally you fill and a helper caps on foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphaacid View Post
      Could I hook up a blichman beergun right off my brite tank to fill bottles? I can't see why not, if I replace the ball lock with a 1.5" TC connection and attach to brite tank. 15psi in a corny keg, of 15psi in a 200bbl FV is still 15psi. Not saying I'm hand bottling 200bbls. But if I want to bottle a case or so, this would be a way to do it, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is possible, right?

I think using the Beergun over a counter pressure bottle filler will be way easier. Thoughts?

I had issues doing this with the beer gun for some reason. It poured a foamy mess. However, it worked perfectly with a counter pressure bottle filler, because you are basically filling bottles from the brite tank in the exact same way you fill kegs.

Comment

I have a CP bottle filler, and tried to do it off the BT and I couldn't get it to fill properly. It was a disaster.

How does the beergun work differently then the CP filler? I've seen people using the beergun off corny kegs just fine. How does filling it off corny's differ then off a BT?

Comment

The problem with foam you're running into is because the Beergun is NOT a counter pressure filler. It doesn't have a way to seal up the top of the bottle and equalize the pressure in the bottle with the pressure needed to keep the beer carbonated. I have seen a couple people pull it off successfully be using a lot of tubing to add restriction to the line. You need the beer coming out of the beergun to have no pressure on it or it will foam like crazy.

Cheers
          Manuel

Comment

So what's the best way to bottle off of a BT? CP filler?

Comment

I would go with a CP filler. I haven't used anything else that does the job nearly as well. If you're going to be bottling any sort of volume get a CP filler. You won't regret it.

If you're just bottling for competitions or the like I've seen some other ways of doing it.
              Like I said I know at least one brewery doing bottles for competition and the like with a beergun. By the looks of things they had a good 10' of 3/16 tubing leading to the beergun. Never saw it used but they said it worked well. Then again they were only bottling a case or two with that set up.
              I've also seen a beergun hooked up to the FV and sugar being added to bottles - again that was only for one off bottles for a competition.
              Manuel

Comment

Hi,

I have a question concerning the beer gun and directly filling from a fermenter/brite.
                I have pressure fermenters (2 bbl, spunding) and fill 5l mini kegs (top kegs). At the moment I transfer to normal kegs and then fill the mini kegs with the beer gun from those kegs. Works very well, but I would like to get rid of this step and connect the beer gun directly to the fermenter.

My concern is: When I fill those mini kegs, the headroom of the fermenter would become very big over time. Same with kegs but they are emptied much faster than the whole fermenter. So my concern is that when I reduce head pressure in the fermenter for filling with the beer gun, the beer would lose carbonation (and aroma) quickly into the headroom of the fermenter.

So I would like to use the beer gun at spunding/normal pressure. That`s about 0,8 bar (11 psi) after cold crash. Is this possible, when I use, like 20 ft of 3/16" beer line to "calm" the beer down?
                At the moment I use 10 ft at reduced pressure (4 psi)

Greetings from Germany
                Felix
                Last edited by FelixGER; 02-27-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X