Aroma hop timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aroma hop timing?

It appears that I'm not getting a lot of aroma from my aroma hop additions, and I'm curious when other brewers are adding their aroma hops: 5 minutes before the end of boil, at the end of boil, during the whirlpool, etc... In addition, what are typical quantities for pellet hops for a 7-barrel batch?

thanks!

For maximum aroma (at least as much as I could muster without dry hopping), I added at whirlpool/KO time.
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

7bbl? atleast a pound and a half in the last five minutes...for an ipa, my personal taste, anyway. if possible, dry hop.

Comment

For 7bbl at least 1/2lb to 3/4lb per barrel for IPA if not 1lb if using lower alpha hops like Cascade, Glacier, Ahtanum,or East Kents.This is a pretty standard amount.I'll add it at Whirlpool and do a 15 minute WP and a 15 minute rest before knockout.

I am in the higher range and also will add a few pounds of higher alpha hops like Columbus, Simcoe,or Chinook that'll really get the aroma going!

So for 20bbls I use 10lbs Glacier 10lbs Ahtanum 2lbs Columbus in the WP

Then of course dry hopping is the real way for some super aromatics!

James
        Hop It And Bitterness Will Come

James Costa
        Brewmaster
        Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.
        El Granada,Ca

Comment

Yeah, I start the whirlpool and then throw them in once it gets going.

Comment

If im going for a decent aromatic I'll throw in from 2-3 kg to a 25 hl batch right at the start of the whirlpool, If Im getting crazy it can go up to 5-7kg.

Maybe your issue isnt with the timming, I think even 5mins boiling will leave you some good aroma. perhaps its your cooling time. how long are you letting the wort settle before starting to cool? and how long does it take you to cool the whole batch. this could be your issue.
            www.Lervig.no

Comment

Whirlpool

Im right there with you Grassroot, For an IPA, I cut steam, dropped in 1.5lbs of T-90 Cascade, & would whirlpool for 18 minutes; 12 minute rest then off to the FV. There was a salient presence of hops in the cellar with a fermenting IPA.
              Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working. -Harold Rudolph

Comment

thanks for your advice fellas... looks like i need to bump up my aroma hop additions (particularly for my ipa).

michael- currently i WP for 15, rest for 10, and KO takes about 30 for a 14 barrel batch...

Comment

Originally posted by rafters_brewer
                  thanks for your advice fellas... looks like i need to bump up my aroma hop additions (particularly for my ipa).

michael- currently i WP for 15, rest for 10, and KO takes about 30 for a 14 barrel batch...

wow I whirlpool for about 1 minute and rest for about 10-15 depending on how much hops I used. in a 25hl kettle, I run the HE through in about 35-40mins.
                  I dont know your system but maybe your beating the aromas out with the long whirlpooling.... I like to see the wort moving along the edges of the kettle at it own pace and I shut off the pump, the moving wort will make the whrilpool effect.

If you have a separate whirlpool vessel then disregard what I just said
                  www.Lervig.no

Comment

Oooph, I've been WP'ing for 20 and resting for 20...holy cow....maybe I'll try 5 minutes or something.
                    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Separation

On the 50bbl system I had a separate WP, & a massive HE fed by a glycol chilled CLT. my 30 minute count down began as soon as wort hit the WP; greater importance was placed upon clearing the kettle for the batch in circulation & finishing milling length 3 (the joys of production brewing). On the 7bbl system mentioned prior, separation was of greater concern with the dinky HE fed by a municipal source (don't flush the toilet during KO), hence the 18/12 ratio of whirl to rest to keep the trub out of the cooling passages. I inherited the process, & it worked.
                      Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working. -Harold Rudolph

Comment

were up to 3 batches per day and Id like to install a seperate whirlpool, but we are planning a new larger brewery now so I guess i have to live with it for the time being
                        www.Lervig.no

Comment

In my opinion and experience there is no comparison between dry hopping and whirlpool additions. I always dry hop my pale and one time that I knew I had to rush a batch I tried whirlpool instead, I added 2x the amount to the whirlpool I would when dry hopping and still the aroma was no where near what I got dry hopping. The flavor was much better with dry hopping also. It is not that hard to dryhop. You just have to figure out the best way to do it. Also as mentioned, whole hops in a bag in the server are a great finishing touch. Add the pellets towards the end of active fermentation if you are rushed, if not it is easier to add them at the end but while the beer is still warm, then crash after at least 3 days warm on the hops. Whirlpool additions are nice but if its aroma your after dry hopping is far superior IMHO. One downside is that once you start dry hopping you cant stop!
                          Big Willey
                          "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
                          X