Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recommends for a dry yeast for a Belgian Tripel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommends for a dry yeast for a Belgian Tripel?

I run a 7bbl brewpub and would like to do a one-off Belgian Tripel. Due to the cost (~$270) for a liquid pitch, I am looking for any positive experiences with any dry yeasts out there? At this point, the only option seems to me Mangrove Jacks m27, or maybe safbrew's s-33, though I cannot find much on what it really contributes. Has anyone used these for stronger Belgian beers? Any other recommendations I am overlooking?

thx,
    dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Fermentis Safbrew T-58

Look into Fermentis Safbrew T-58 as a possible option. I was pleased with its performance for such styles, in my opinion. Ferment around 64F.

I have used their S-33 and wasn't as impressed.

Comment

M27 rocks.

The Mangrove Jack is a great strain for both performance and character. Ester production is fairly low, spicy phenols moderate. It's my yeast of choice for my house Tripel- makes a nice, dry, hoppy beer. Attenuation is very high. I would compare it to the Wyeast 3711, and in fact suspect it's the same strain. Recommended temp range is 79-90F. We've had inconsistent results with T-58, over ~6 or so 7bbl brews.

Cheers!

Comment

Ferments BE 256/Abbaye yeast is fantastic. We have done a few beers with it and they have all turned out great, including a gold medal winning tripel in our state craft championship.

Comment

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
          I run a 7bbl brewpub and would like to do a one-off Belgian Tripel. Due to the cost (~$270) for a liquid pitch, I am looking for any positive experiences with any dry yeasts out there? At this point, the only option seems to me Mangrove Jacks m27, or maybe safbrew's s-33, though I cannot find much on what it really contributes. Has anyone used these for stronger Belgian beers? Any other recommendations I am overlooking?

thx,
          dave
          I recommend Lallemand Abbaye. We've used it several times and it's killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish002 View Post
            Look into Fermentis Safbrew T-58 as a possible option. I was pleased with its performance for such styles, in my opinion. Ferment around 64F.

I have used their S-33 and wasn't as impressed.
            I'm a long time fan of T-58. For us, I find if we go below 65 it falls asleep, so I like to pitch at 66, and let free rise 2 degrees a day to about 72 and hold it there. Also T-58 Has Farty Pants. If you over-pitch it it'll kick out sulfur pretty bad for a while. Let the yeast do their work and clean up after themselves. We've also experimented with putting copper piping in the kettle while using it.

Also we've had some issues with under-attenuation in the past. I actually asked the Fermentis guys at the CBC a year or two ago about it, and they said the strain doesn't handle maltotriose very well. So mash heavy on the beta amylase side and hit the tripel with some cane sugar.

Going to try out the Fermentis BE-256 (formerly 'Abbaye') in a couple weeks, might switch to that if we like it.
            Last edited by Bainbridge; 11-11-2016, 10:53 AM.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by wailingguitar View Post
              Ferments BE 256/Abbaye yeast is fantastic. We have done a few beers with it and they have all turned out great, including a gold medal winning tripel in our state craft championship.
              Thanks for all the suggestions. Regarding the Abbaye yeast, what ferment temps did you run it at? It says 59-68 on the spec sheet. It apparently is less estery than t58. Fermentis says, "subtle and well-balanced aromas", which is just general enough to be somewhat useless. What did you Abbaye users get? Spicy? Phenols? Esters?

thx!
              Dave Cowie
              Nevada City, CA

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Regarding the Abbaye yeast, what ferment temps did you run it at? It says 59-68 on the spec sheet. It apparently is less estery than t58. Fermentis says, "subtle and well-balanced aromas", which is just general enough to be somewhat useless. What did you Abbaye users get? Spicy? Phenols? Esters?

thx!

I've used the Abbaye yeast in a couple of brews on our 7 bbl system. The last batch I used it on was a Belgian Quad and fermented out around 66, then letting it free rise to 71 after 50% attenuation. I got a very clean and classic Belgian flavor out of it. Not so much banana/clove, definitely more peppery and tart, which is more up my alley. Another thing I've been doing for some high gravity Belgians is pitching equal parts Abbaye and Red Star Pasteur Blanc, which ferments out well at the same temp range, but gives you some of that white wine tartness and dryness, and goes after and candi sugar first, which helps avoid some of the weird flavors you can sometimes get if you add a lot of sugar.

Comment

thx!
                  I have been running it at the higher end of the spectrum and like Alex I find more of the spicy Belgian character than banana/clove. Tasty yeast without being really in your face.

Comment

I want to circle back to this after using the BE-256. I fermented at ~64-66 for 80% of the ferment, letting it free rise to about 69-70. Kept on going and going and finished quite dry at 1.8p. I did use 17% belgian candi sugar in the BK.

Notes:

I really like the results. A bit more banana than I care for though. I guess next time I'll try around 61-62 perhaps. But it is an interesting yeast. Getting good comments from peeps on the results. Had wanted 8.5%, but without finding much info on expected attenuation, ended up at 9.7%. Hard to tell as it finishes pretty smooth and the alcohol is subdued.

I'll use this again as a one off and would recommend, though again, I'd ferment on the lower end of the advertised range.

Also -- fyi -- I pitched 500g for a 7bbl batch -- sprinkling it on top 1/3rd of the way into KO. Let it sit for 20-25 minutes, gave it a blast or O2 to mix, then continued on with the KO.

Also -- needed more biofine to get decent clarity. Not much of a floccer.

Dave
                    Dave Cowie
                    Nevada City, CA

Comment

thx,
                      dave

T58 is amazing but don't ferment at a high temp. I've found an overwhelming isoamyl acetate character at anything above 68 and I actually ferment with it in the low 60s usually, contrary to popular Belgians. It's a great yeast strain as long as you know what you're getting into.
                      Last edited by claponsie; 01-19-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Lallemand Abbaye

thx,
                        dave
                        Hi Dave,
                        If you would like more information on Lallemand's Abbaye yeast, please feel free to email me at cparnin@lallemand.com. I am happy to help!
                        Cheers,
                        Caroline Parnin
                        Technical Sales East Coast
                        Lallemand Brewing

Comment

Working...
                        X