Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 bbl system to hit 1000 bbl a year

Hey all,

I currently run a 1.5bbl brewery that also is a homebrew supply store (drink while you shop). The brewery has been going well and I cant keep up so we are going to drop the homebrew supply side and focus on the brewing. We are looking at a 10 bbl brewhouse setup with a large taproom. The focus will be pint sales with a bit of keg sales

I am trying to figure out how many FV and BT I need to hit the 1000 bbl a year mark. Any suggestions?

How many days will a product sit in fermentation? 14? How many days are in a year * # of FV / fermentation days = # turns. * 10bbl. Theoretically that would be your maximum throughput. Assume slack of so maybe * .9 and you're right there.
    The short answer is 5FV and one BBT can get you there at 10bbl you're brewing every second or third day.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

A 5:1 FV to BBT ratio is pretty high, I like to use 3:1, gives you a little flexibility if a beer isn't dropping clear. If you are going to filter, then this isn't a problem. Similar to the previous calculations, it is going to be based on the styles of beers you produce, ales average 14 days, sometimes faster, sometimes longer, lagers are 28 days minimum. Each lager tank gets 1 turn per month, the others 2 turns. Also remember that you do not get 100% yield out of your tanks, there are losses, especially with dry hopped IPA's, so that is another issue. Even with filtration, you are probably looking at 10-15% loss for non dry hopped and 20% for moderately dry hopped beers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, kinda what i thought. I may end up having to do 2 FV at 10 bbl and 1 FV at 20 bbl for doible batches. Of course that means i need a 20 bbl BT. Many breweries i have talked with do double batches

The plan is to have just a few flagships with many seasonal and roatating beers as possible

Tricky part is the beer is ready when it is ready. If thatbis 10 days then good, if that is 17 days then that is just what the beer needed. At this point all i can get is averages and educated guesses

Comment

Have you considered Unitanks at all? Save some money on Brites and just buy more FV/Uni's
          Originally posted by CascadiaHB View Post
          Thanks for the reply, kinda what i thought. I may end up having to do 2 FV at 10 bbl and 1 FV at 20 bbl for doible batches. Of course that means i need a 20 bbl BT. \
          Steve
          Red Bison Brewery
          Calgary, AB, Canada
          redbisonbrewery.com
          Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Red Bison View Post
            Have you considered Unitanks at all? Save some money on Brites and just buy more FV/Uni's

I have thought about this a bit. It seems like it would be easier/flexible to have all uni's.

Do you run with uni's?

Comment

Originally posted by CascadiaHB View Post

Do you run with uni's?
              I'm just about to order tanks. I don't see any downside really. Considering that Uni's and Brites are the same (if not, similar) cost. Instead of 4 FV and 2 BT, you could do 5 or 6 Uni's. Having at least one extra than you calculated will give you some flexibility for a slow fermentation. This is just from what I have found online. I'm sure someone experienced with Unitanks will chime in.
              Steve
              Red Bison Brewery
              Calgary, AB, Canada
              redbisonbrewery.com
              Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

I have 3 unis and would much rather have 3 fv and one Brite. The unis do work, but there are definitely downsides to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
                  I have 3 unis and would much rather have 3 fv and one Brite. The unis do work, but there are definitely downsides to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  what r the downsides with a uni vs a brite ?

Comment

We use 9 unis from 35 to 110bbl, and two brights. The brights are used for bottling only. We make both ales and lagers.
                    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Having brites does the following for you:
                      1. You can clear your FV out up to a week early if your schedule permits, and then you're fermenting again faster
                      2. BBT are not as tall as unitanks, settling time is faster because of this.

Comment

Working...
                      X