fda rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fda rules

Now that the industry might have a more sympathetic president/legislature in the white house/office, is anyone aware of an effort to scrap the FDA rules requiring nutritional information for beers served in restaurants? I believe the rules take effect in May.

Maybe wishful thinking, but it sure would save me a lot of hassle not to have to get all our beers tested.

Cheers,

Sam

Read the rules....

I don't believe that FDA requirements apply to beer. They do for cider. There is currently an exemption for anyone NOT grossing a YUGE amount of revenue, OR producing a YUGE amount of product or a YUGE amount of employees: This excerpted:

(j) The following foods are exempt from this section or are subject to special labeling requirements:
    (1)(i) Food offered for sale by a person who makes direct sales to consumers (e.g., a retailer) who has annual gross sales made or business done in sales to consumers that is not more than $500,000 or has annual gross sales made or business done in sales of food to consumers of not more than $50,000, Provided, That the food bears no nutrition claims or other nutrition information in any context on the label or in labeling or advertising. Claims or other nutrition information subject the food to the provisions of this section.

(ii) For all other food products, the product shall be eligible for an exemption for any 12-month period if, for the preceding 12 months, the person claiming the exemption employed fewer than an average of 100 full-time equivalent employees and fewer than 100,000 units of that product were sold in the United States, or in the case of a food product that was not sold in the 12-month period preceding the period for which exemption is claimed, fewer than 100,000 units of such product are reasonably anticipated to be sold in the United States during the period for which exemption is claimed.

I don't think anyone is forcing a nanobrewery to publish nutritional requirements. Regardless the "news" source that says otherwise. Look up 21CFR.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
    X