Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming in Disposable Kegs

Hi there,

Anyone have primed in Dolium or one way kegs? I plan to bottle condition some beers (Saisons), and was also going to fill the kegs in the same manner. I like the beer to benefit from refermentation, and was wondering if anyone else been priming in these kegs.

My concern is safety, as Saison are usually at 3.0vol CO2 and I really want to avoid any kegs exploding.

All the time

We do it everytime we keg (keykeg) ... we have made a T derivation with john guest's with a one way valve and them we just seringe with the prime solution

Comment

Originally posted by cmfso View Post
      We do it everytime we keg (keykeg) ... we have made a T derivation with john guest's with a one way valve and them we just seringe with the prime solution
      Originally posted by weiht View Post
      Hi there,

Anyone have primed in Dolium or one way kegs? I plan to bottle condition some beers (Saisons), and was also going to fill the kegs in the same manner. I like the beer to benefit from refermentation, and was wondering if anyone else been priming in these kegs.

My concern is safety, as Saison are usually at 3.0vol CO2 and I really want to avoid any kegs exploding.
      how do you guys like using those plastic kegs? we have a nano in baja mexico where i would like to start selling kegs, but the import tax to transport steel kegs from the US into mexico is almost 20%. i've seen plastic kegs show up from time to time, but ive wondered about cost/durability/etc.

any opinions on how they've worked for you guys?

Comment

keykegs

They work just fine ... just have to pay atention to pressure, but it's easy to release some extra pressure with the keg head with a pressure valve.

Comment

Priming in keykeg

Hello, i am new on forum and just started a microbrewery. I have a question about filling into keykeg. The idea is to fill keykeg with premix sugar and beer for natural carbonation in keykeg. Can be these done just with filling keykeg with gravity help? I have also shurflo pump for transfering beer from non pressurized conical to bottling bucket. So can i just pump the beer into keykeg with max pressure of shurflo pump? Shurflo automatically shut off when max pressure is reached (2.4 bar). Do i need to release the pressure in keykeg before secondary fermentation starts?

I normaly add six grams of sugar per liter of beer when bottling. But in keykeg there is no head space. Can somebody explain me how are amount of sugar, keg pressure and amount of beer in keykeg with no headspace related? Or simple question, how much sugar must i add in fully filled keygeg (lets say that there is no starting pressure) for proper natural carbonation of an ale beer? lets say 2.5 volume carbonation. Thank you very much.

Denis

Comment

Priming

We just use 1/2 of the quantity used in bottles ...

Comment

Originally posted by Pivopivec View Post
              Hello, i am new on forum and just started a microbrewery. I have a question about filling into keykeg. The idea is to fill keykeg with premix sugar and beer for natural carbonation in keykeg. Can be these done just with filling keykeg with gravity help? I have also shurflo pump for transfering beer from non pressurized conical to bottling bucket. So can i just pump the beer into keykeg with max pressure of shurflo pump? Shurflo automatically shut off when max pressure is reached (2.4 bar). Do i need to release the pressure in keykeg before secondary fermentation starts?

I normaly add six grams of sugar per liter of beer when bottling. But in keykeg there is no head space. Can somebody explain me how are amount of sugar, keg pressure and amount of beer in keykeg with no headspace related? Or simple question, how much sugar must i add in fully filled keygeg (lets say that there is no starting pressure) for proper natural carbonation of an ale beer? lets say 2.5 volume carbonation. Thank you very much.

Denis
              Perhaps a bit of an old post, but I have been dabbling with the same issue for a while (new brewery). We mix sugar and beer in a blending tank (just an ordinary speidel 625 without a cooling jacket). We mix to get around 2,2 vols of co2 according to any ordinary priming calculator (not half the amount as bottle, as some state). When racking to the kegs we release all the pressure out of the keg prior to filling it - the counter pressure is just for filling carbonated beer. I'd guess 2,4 bars would be sufficient - the advice I got was to fill it as much as possible. When doing so, you hear an audible crack in the keg when its near full. We have racked around 50 kegs now and had zero problems with ripping or lack of foam/carbonation

Kristian
              Raus Brewery
              Norway

Comment

Working...
              X