Glycol loop bypass valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol loop bypass valve

So I've read various posts on bypass valves at the end of the glycol loop and i'm still just plain struggling finding a valve that's suited for it.
    When i talked to pro-refrigeration they said the valve should be 1/2 the diameter of my header; I have a 2" header so i'm looking for a 1" valve.... that's most of my problem. I can find plenty of 3/4" valves that have the pressure range and temperature range but haven't found an 1" valve. So, if anyone has a part # they can share or verify that i'm good with a 3/4" valve (or multiple 3/4") I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Rob

Several users have these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#4703k56/=15oquqo

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowbeard View Post
      This is the one I have and it works flawlessly.

Cheers,
      --
      Don

Comment

Thanks. I'll assume you're using the 15-25 range? My tank jackets are rated up to 30psi

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by deogey View Post
          Thanks. I'll assume you're using the 15-25 range? My tank jackets are rated up to 30psi

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
          That's the range I'm using. My jackets are rated much higher than that but I run my system at 20psi. My glycol chiller also has an internal bypass so I'm covered pretty well against over pressurization.

Cheers,
          --
          Don

Comment

Another option...

I like the belt-and-suspenders approach much better: First line of defense is a solenoid that opens on the end of the header when all tanks are off. Easy logic on most controllers that have two outputs. Or add relays to your control panel if they don't. Easy option to keep glycol flowing without undue heating from pumping against a pressure relief valve. And then a pressure relief bypass as close to the chiller as possible. Internal if possible. That should only actuate when the solenoid, controller, or relay doesn't work properly. VFDs are also another way to keep header pressure constant regardless of tank loading. Bit more work and a bit more complex, but they work great. Remember that all energy you put into the system costs you money once for the energy cost of input, but also (and more expensively) again when remove that energy in the form of heat. If you limit how much goes in, you save money twice. This is a cheap and simple approach.
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Reactivating this thread to talk about what everyone is setting their PRV at (https://www.mcmaster.com/#4703k55/=1dc7ff7)?

My tank specs say that the max glycol PSI is 15, should I run the loop at 0-14 then? Won't that mean that the pressure valve is essentially always open if I set to range 0-14?
              Dustin Baker

Owner/Brewer
              Roadmap Brewing Co.
              San Antonio, TX

Comment

Put a large face pressure gauge before the pass through valve so you can dial in the adjustment.

Also, put in isolation ball valves before and after the bypass assembly for emergency shutdown or maintenance.

Head over to this post for pics near the bottom of the thread.

Last edited by Todd Hicks; 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM. Reason: Added thread link
                Todd G Hicks
                BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

For those using the McMaster valve : https://www.mcmaster.com/#4703k56/=15oquqo, can you tell me if the orientation of the valve is important? Ie can the valve be horizontal rather than vertical? thanks.

Ed

Comment

Alternative valve from McMaster-Carr

This valve is only $62 for a 3/4" that is adjustable 0-50 psi, less expensive than the 1" npt non adjustable 30 psi as the other one listed in this thread. This one is probably better suited. 3/4" of flow should be more than adequate. You probably have to pipe down to either thread size anyway.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Also, orientation for this type of pressure relief water valve should not matter. Put the adjustment knob where it is in the best position to make adjustments and discharge back into the return.
                    Last edited by Todd Hicks; 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM.
                    Todd G Hicks

Comment

Rattling of the PRV?

Originally posted by Todd Hicks View Post
                      This valve is only $62 for a 3/4" that is adjustable 0-50 psi, less expensive than the 1" npt non adjustable 30 psi as the other one listed in this thread. This one is probably better suited. 3/4" of flow should be more than adequate. You probably have to pipe down to either thread size anyway.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Also, orientation for this type of pressure relief water valve should not matter. Put the adjustment knob where it is in the best position to make adjustments and discharge back into the return.

We went with this type of valve for our GLycol loop. Glycol loop has been running ~1 week or so. So far we have only one tank fermenting and drawing glycol. We seem to have pretty loud rattling on the valve at some intervals. Not sure if it is excess air in the line that needs to be purged out, or some issue with our valve itself. Our headers are 1.5" and the PRV is same size (1.5"). Pump is running at 22psi pretty consistently. our PRV is 0-14psi and we keep it at 14. Our loop is small, it only has 2 10BBL and 2 5BBL tanks on it. Anybody else seen these rattling in their loops?

Thanks
                      Art

Comment

Originally posted by ruizyeom View Post
                        We went with this type of valve for our GLycol loop. Glycol loop has been running ~1 week or so. So far we have only one tank fermenting and drawing glycol. We seem to have pretty loud rattling on the valve at some intervals. Not sure if it is excess air in the line that needs to be purged out, or some issue with our valve itself. Our headers are 1.5" and the PRV is same size (1.5"). Pump is running at 22psi pretty consistently. our PRV is 0-14psi and we keep it at 14. Our loop is small, it only has 2 10BBL and 2 5BBL tanks on it. Anybody else seen these rattling in their loops?

Thanks
                        Art
                        Run all of your tanks for an hour or two and purge out the air. Keep an eye on the glycol chiller as sometimes air can trip the glycol supply level sensor and shut down.
                        Todd G Hicks

Comment

Working...
                        X