Makeshift Brite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makeshift Brite?

Thought I might try posting this in a different forum. Anybody use single shell tanks, insulated with an internal coil for a brite tank? I definitely don't have the space in a cold room for this. Any help would be great!

Hello everyone, l'm in the process of setting up our brewery and got a deal on these 2 pressurized 10bbl tanks. I was going to use them as fermenter's but was wondering if I can turn them into uni-tanks or one FV and one BBT. Here's the thing though. They're not jacketed, I was going to use a large internal stainless coil to control temp and insulate the outside. They have racking ports, and I'll add a PRV to one of the TC connections but they have a very shallow cone, like 15 deg. They're like 4' diameter with a little over 3' side wall. If I can in fact drop all the yeast out of the shallow cone (which I'm skeptical) could I just add a carbstone to one of the racking ports and use it as a unitank. If not I could use one as a dedicated brite tank. My main questions are, are the dimensions of these tanks prohibitive to properly carbing beer evenly, and will my interior stainless coil control my temp to evenly carb beer. My theory was, if I can properly insulate these tanks, what's the difference of cooling internally vs externally via jacket? But I still don't know if the dimensions favor a brite tank set up. I currently have a 5bbl jacketed brite but I was hoping to get some more capacity with these two tanks on a budget. Am I crazy to try this? Any help would be great! Thanks to everyone who contributes to this website, it has been a life saver!

What makes you think these tanks are pressure rated vessels? If they were not equipped with a standard port for a PVRV I doubt they would be considered pressure tanks and are most likely atmospheric. Trying to col these tanks from the inside with out true insulation will only result in sporadic temperatures that will both effect your fermentation and carbonation. Best advice is to buy the right tool for the job.

Comment

Working...
    X