No announcement yet.

mash hopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Rob, if the boil over threat is an issue, try setting up a hair dryer or a fan for chilled air for draft lines, aimed at the spot where the foam accumulates. Life will be good.

Comment

FirstWortHopping Theory

I was taught that FWH is useful for the addition of aromatic oxidation compounds into the finished beer. This seems contrary to what we all know happens to the oils of hops when boiled or heated for extended periods; however when the wort is transferred from the mash, it still contains some O2, which reacts with the oils in the FWH, creating non-volatile oxidation products which persist through the boil, into the finished beer.

Someone also posed the question as to why FWH apparently doesn't add as much bitterness... The polyphenols in hops, added before the formation of floc (hot break) in the kettle, are very eagerly attracted to the non-coagulated protein which is present in the kettle fill and early boil. Once the hops are bound up with protein, there is much less surface area exposed, hence much less alpha acid to isomerize. For this reason, many brewers and the bittering addition 15-30 minutes after the boil begins or after floc is formed.

Jamie

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Actually, the paper I saw on FWH showed a measurable increase in IBUs with FWH over traditional hopping. But their taste test panel preferred the FWH beers, saying that the bitterness was more "pleasant".
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Wel, I just tasted the pale ale I FWH's, and I must say, *in my opinion*, the bitterness is much more smooth and palatable, not sharp, and it most definitely has an aroma. I'm still going to dry hop it though

Awesome thread.
          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Rob,
            Glad it worked out for you! So, share your hopping schedule with us... did you do ONLY FWH, or were there other additions too?

Cheers,
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by RobZamites
              Awesome thread.
              It is an awesome thread although a new thread should have been started. I lost interest in the mash hopping thread and almost didn't give it a look today but when a thread goes to three pages, you have to check it out.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

See the new thread!
                "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Originally posted by RobZamites
                  See the new thread!
                  Bless you!
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                  X