Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-traps in trench drain dropouts?

Hi all,

I'm pouring a new floor for our cider facility and have bought about 50' of presloped ACO drain. The drain will have 5 drop outs, connecting to plumbing below the slab. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the effluent, but my best idea is to have the plumbing discharge into a septic field built just for the trench drain (i.e. With no tank, and with no ties to any sewage, or any other sort of effluent). What do others do? Any comments on this plan? My other question is whether I should install p-traps for each drop out, or maybe a single p-trap downstream from all dropouts. I have pro and con thoughts. In favour of p-traps,, I don't want any smells wafting up from further down the pipe, or from the septic field where the effluent is dispersed. Against this idea, i also don't want stuff growing in the p-traps themselves, creating smells and unwanted microbiology. Any advice out there?

Thanks,
    Mike

I can only offer what I have used for many years,yes you want P traps its the only way stop nasty gas from coming back in. My other suggestion is to make sure you have several areas that you can get access to your trench drains it sure makes it easier if there is a clog or you drop a clamp down the drain. I have never ran into a septic so I cant help with any of that
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
      I can only offer what I have used for many years,yes you want P traps its the only way stop nasty gas from coming back in. My other suggestion is to make sure you have several areas that you can get access to your trench drains it sure makes it easier if there is a clog or you drop a clamp down the drain. I have never ran into a septic so I cant help with any of that
      Thanks Mike! I guess if you have p-traps beneath the dropouts, then you can't use those dropouts as cleanouts! So, is the idea to reserve a drop out or two in the trench for use as a clean out? If so, what stops smells from wafting up? Do the clean outs have lids to seal out smells?

What does your drain discharge into?

Mike

Comment

I just finished my floors and by code, here in Cali, each fixture must have a p trap. Now 50' is a long fixture but I believe each drop would be required to have a p-trap. That is just here though.

Comment

Add traps

Add p Traps. I used to work in a large warehouse where delivery trucks were parked inside. The trench drains used for melting snow on trucks did not have traps. On bad days especially those with high humidity (think brewery) the smell would permeate, almost sticking to the air, up to the offices. Nobody wants to smell sewer gas. We retrofitted the old drains in our brewing area with p traps.

Comment

Most codes will require a clean out and a vent after a trap. Clean outs are basically a tee in the line with a cap on the top that you remove to service any clogged pipes.

Comment

Why P traps

You really want P-traps in the line. First they are a code requirement so if you want to pass a plumbing inspection you will need them. Beyond the code issues you also should install them to stop odors and bugs. Yes, I said bugs. It is possible to have bugs of various types living in the pipes depending on the exit depths especially if these are connected to a septic system. While this is not likely, I have seen it once before on a DIY plumbing installation. Also, make sure you seal the joints of that trench drain system and pour concrete all around it to ensure it lasts.

Comment

Working...
              X