Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• party pigs?

Anyone have experince with these? www.partypig.com
    if so whats the shelf life? what do consumers think of them? How easy are they to fill.

Thanks

I know the Hereford and Hops in Pittsburgh uses them. I don't know much about them but someone there may be able to help.

Comment

Also the H&H in Escanaba MI.........
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

....and the Big Buck in Auburn Hills, MI. Those things are a royal PITA to deal with, IMHO.
        "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

They look like they'd be a PITA. thats my biggest concern.

Comment

The pigs are a pain in the ass because you've got to screw down the top AFTER they're filled, then pop the bag when they're returned (very loud).

Try the freshKEG's - I'm doing good numbers with them so far. Flexible enough for restaurants & bars, easy enough for take home for customers off the street.

Comment

I've worked in a brewery that used party pigs... they certainly are a PITA if you are using them in large quantities. But I will say that they are great for providing samples to potential accounts and also, oddly enough, for taking to parties. So yeah, I wouldn't recommend them for retail but I would recommend them for promotion and of course homebrewers without a draft setup... IMHO

Comment

I think I got the answer I was looking for. they aren't any good for any "large" scale use. I'm always looking at diff. and unique ways to release a new product anyone got any ideas?

Comment

freshKEG?

Rudge-

Can you tell me more about the freshKEG... I took a look at the website, but I'm curious where the CO2/dispensing gas comes from. Also, can you clean these things on the keg washer, or is it more of a spray and soak kind of deal?

Comment

Party Pigs

We used Party Pigs at our brewpubs from 1999-2004. They are a complete PITA. They are also quite expensive. Trying to track them is virtually impossible. The service provided by the supplier is pathetic. We stopped using them and we never even got a phone call about the lack of orders. They were a fun novelty but beer can become oxidized quickly becasue we did not counter pressure fill. I would suggest a Melvico and 22 oz. bottles for account samples as the beer tastes much better. I also have a scar between my eyebrows when one of the tops blew off into my face while "charging" the bag. I would not suggest them.

Good Luck
                    Kai Adams
                    Sebago Brewing Company
                    www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

We bought the party pig equipment of a brewery that was going out of business. It included the CP filler and the air-powered crimper for the nect seal. Even with the top-of-the-line equipment, it is a pain to fill, seal, and pressurize the pigs, and we can only do about 15 an hour. However, our retail customers love them, and so we keep filling them to sell through our taproom. Because of the cost of the package, we can't make any money selling them at wholesale. We sell them for $32 each at our taproom.

I wanted to add that we have had pretty good service with Quion. I think it is a neat idea, engineering-wise, but I'm always glad when someone else has to fill them! No matter how good you get, you always end up drenched in beer from the one seal that didn't crimp right.
                      Last edited by lhall; 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM. Reason: add a comment
                      Linus Hall
                      Yazoo Brewing
                      Nashville, TN
                      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Those might work for a smaller capacity/selling volume operation, but I sure as shootin' wouldn't recommend them for a large volume (1,000+ bbl/yr) operation. You'd need one dedicated person just to do pigs. And I've been cut by flying crimp rings due to a bad seal, and having to tear the damned thing off. Not to mention the "pig room" being coated with beer and foam.

/would rather have a triple root canal than do pigs again
                        "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Piggies

I worked at the brewery that helped "finish" the development of the party pig in the early 90's. It was started at Coors I believe, and they abandoned it before it got going due to the fact that it really is a Royal PITA. They are great for the consumer, but very time consuming and labor intensive for the brewery. At the time, the company would bring us any new fillers, crimpers, bags, etc., and we did 200-300 a week. This was basically a full-time job for some unlucky person in our cellar. There is a brewery in my area that uses them with some success, but I have always said "no way" when approached about them.
                          We are selling the Tap-A-Draft, I like these because you fill them like a growler, and then the customer is responsible for installing the tap, cleaning, and repairs. We don't sell that many; just nice to have around when someone wants one of those "pig things".
                          Paul Thomas
                          Brewer
                          Sockeye Brewing
                          www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Just say no to the pig.

Coors had 2.5 and 5 gallon "party balls". Thicker plastic in a insulated box so you'd add ice, tap and drink. The local homebrewers tried every possible way to refill/reuse them with no success.
                            Last edited by beertje46; 10-25-2006, 04:01 PM. Reason: content
                            Cheers & I'm out!
                            David R. Pierce
                            NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                            POB 343
                            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Discontiued

Originally posted by BubbaBeerBacon
                              Could you send me a picture of that keg!? Or the name of the manufacturer making these!?
                              I’ve been trying finding some for the last 4 months……..!
                              I "believe" Coors discontinued the party balls in the early 90's.
                              Cheers & I'm out!
                              David R. Pierce
                              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                              POB 343
                              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                              X