draft line cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• draft line cleaning

Can you guys give me the run down on draft line cleaning. We'll be taking over a draft line from the coors distributor next week. The bar manager says they clean the lines every two weeks.

I've heard people recommend BLC and a pump system. We don't have the blc or a pump yet, though, and we will putting our beer on tap next week at this establishment.

Could we mix up a solution of PBW in a cornie keg and push it through with CO2, maybe even let it sit an hour or two to break up any organics. Then mix up a solution of sani-clean and push that through. We'd have to bring our own CO2 and a couple canisters of cleaner and something to catch the spent cleaner in.

We'll invest in the right equipment, but i need a stop-gap solution for an account next week.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. You guys rock!

Matt

Yeah, they even sell little kegs for doing just what you're describing. I'd order some BLC right away, though. It works particularly well in beer lines, and rinses better too.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

do i understand that blc is caustic. if the current distributors are only cleaning with that type of product, could there be a buildup of beerstone that requires some type of acid flush to break down and remove?

Comment

check out micromatic.com. They sell both a caustic cleaner and an acid cleaner. They recommend the caustic every three-four weeks and the acid every third or fourth time cleaning. You can also get a can that works with sankey fittings. In my opinion, BLC is homebrew-grade stuff. The micromatic cleaner works much better for us. I took a section of dirty, infected line that I cut out of an old bar system, and soaked a piece of the line in BLC and in the micromatic cleaner. The BLC cleaner hardly removed any grime, and the micromatic cleaner got the line looking almost new. If you get any on your hands, you can also really tell the difference in the strength of the caustic. Oh, yeah, be sure to wear gloves and eye guards when cleaning lines with caustic!

A corney keg with PBW would work fine. Make sure to rinse well with cold water after. Also be sure to take apart the faucet and brush it out while the PBW is soaking in the lines. 10-15 minutes would be adequate time, especially if the line has been maintained before.

Cleaning lines is not rocket science, it just has to be done on a regular basis. Sometimes the cheapest thing to do with a line that has not been cleaned regularly is to replace it. I carry a roll of 3/8" hose and 3/16" hose and fittings in my van just for that case. If course, if it is a long draw system you may be stuck with it.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Check this out.

It's a line cleaner (basically KOH and chlorine) with an indicator that turns amber whine the line is fouled and purple when the line is clean.

We used a similar system in Dublin with great success. Mind you we were cleaning our licensees lines with a maximum interval of 7 days.

Have no idea if it is even legal in the US.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I use pbw, acid 5, and star san (all hot) every month or so depending on traffic. Also, remember to take the faucets off and TAKE THEM APART! It always amazes me how much goo builds up in the faucets.
            Luck to ya'
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

foxx equipment

I just ran down to the local home brew store and got a complete set up. It is a small plastic jar with a bicycle type air pump and a hose that attaches to the faucet shank just pump the cleaner through, soak, rinse, rinse rinse. It also comes with a shank/faucet brush. It all fits in a 3 gallon pail. Its way easier than lugging around extra kegs.

Comment

Working...
              X