Let's talk about the Ignore List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the Ignore List

Right, so I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the proliferation of equipment suppliers has made Probrewer effectively unusable.

Bacchus knows I loves me some ProBrewer, but I go away for a day or two and when I come back and click on the What's New -> New Posts tab it is a tidal wave of 'Nano Brewhouse In Stock!' and 'bump' 'bump' 'bump'.... I get that certain equipment suppliers might sponsor the site and that is just fine and vital for its existence. But the number of equipment posts is too damn high!

Scrolling through seven pages of equipment listings drowns out any of the technical discussions that are the main reason most of us come here. I'm all good on equipment thankyouverymuch and if I ever do need something I've already got preferred suppliers. But adding those posters to your Ignore list is time consuming and, moreover, it just plain doesn't work. It blocks the text of the post, but not the presence in the new posts feed. So now it's just cluttered with 'Equipment For Sale!' posts that you can't read...

Is there a method within this forum software to either unsubscribe from entire forums (like I could happily never see any of the New Equipment threads) or a more effective way to banhammer some of the more obnoxious repeat offenders?

Until then I'll see you on /r/theBrewery.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Equipment

Amen to your post.

Comment

You hear this ABE???
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Agree 100%. A New Posts within process and techniques would be a godsend, provided Probrewer can keep the equipment posters from cluttering it up.
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

The gross over-advertising is well beyond the limits of annoying. I can guarantee that when I go shopping for a setup it'll be from someone who has some discretion with how they present themselves to us. Desperate sales pitches are not attractive to reasonable people.

-J.
          Jeremy Reed
          Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
          The North of 48 Brewing Company
          Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post
            The gross over-advertising is well beyond the limits of annoying. I can guarantee that when I go shopping for a setup it'll be from someone who has some discretion with how they present themselves to us. Desperate sales pitches are not attractive to reasonable people.

-J.
            Double that for cold-calls. I've instructed our employees who answer the phones that a call for me isn't a call for me unless they know my name. When the odd cold-call comes through, I explain that I won't be doing business with anyone who wastes my time.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              Double that for cold-calls. I've instructed our employees who answer the phones that a call for me isn't a call for me unless they know my name. When the odd cold-call comes through, I explain that I won't be doing business with anyone who wastes my time.
              But you've been pre-approved for a small business loan Timm! Pre-approved...

We have taken to just not answering calls from entire cities. San Francisco is Yelp. NY is someone trying to scam a loan on me and/or offer illegal stock advice. Sorry random tourists, listen for the beep.

Course now they're spoofing local numbers. Asssssholes...
              Last edited by Bainbridge; 03-01-2017, 12:50 PM.
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

You've won a cruise!!!!!!
                Jeremy Reed
                Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella

www.no48.ca

Comment

My brewery just got rid of the landline. We have a mailbox that sends the soundbyte to email and gets forwarded to the appropriate person, or deleted if junk
                  Karen Belfry

Comment

The site already differentiates between discussion and classifieds very well. The clutter is in the classifieds. I would suggest having two what's new pages, one under each categorie.

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
                    Agree 100%. A New Posts within process and techniques would be a godsend, provided Probrewer can keep the equipment posters from cluttering it up.
                    If you go from the discussions page into the process and techniques thread list, the threads are already arranged with most recent posts at the top. And I'm pretty sure there are no classifieds hiding in there.

Cheers,

Comment

I have bought and sold a lot of equipment on Probrewer, and probably wouldn't have if the classified ads didn't pop up in "What's new". So I just skim through "what's new" faster now. It's not that annoying.
                      Linus Hall
                      Yazoo Brewing
                      Nashville, TN
                      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Finally found this thread...on page 6...

And I browse the forum twice daily... Never are there less than 5 pages of posts under New Posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
                          Finally found this thread...on page 6...

And I browse the forum twice daily... Never are there less than 5 pages of posts under New Posts.
                          and 4.5 pages have nothing to teach us, at all.
                          Jeremy Reed

www.no48.ca

Comment

Working...
                          X