Jan Szymanowski
    Imperial Sino Craft Brewery
    http://sinobrew.com
    jan@sinobrew.com
    Heshan, Southern China
    US-California, Los Angeles

Comment

Did you decide on AJS Schooner?
      We are very close to making a small order. 25 to 50 if possible.

thx!

Comment

Originally posted by SRB
        Did you decide on AJS Schooner?
        We are very close to making a small order. 25 to 50 if possible.

thx!
        We are making them ourselves. We got a band saw and our buddy the machinist can make a bunch of parts all at once so it goes pretty well. Overall it's still expensive and time consuming, but so is everything about our business currently.
        Marcus Connery
        Wheelhouse Beverages

Comment

Originally posted by SchoonerExact
          We are making them ourselves. We got a band saw and our buddy the machinist can make a bunch of parts all at once so it goes pretty well. Overall it's still expensive and time consuming, but so is everything about our business currently.
          Mind posting some more details? Pictures would be great.
          I've been tossing around the idea rustic hand-made tap handles and would be interested in your process.

Comment

I love this thread!
            I've been making our tap handles for several years now. I got a midi-lathe (think tabletop model) to do the actual turning. I've been using birch wood because it is a versatile hardwood that won't dull your turning knives too quickly. I get the brass inserts (so the handle can screw onto the faucet) at my local hardware store. I can crank out a finished tap handle in about 20 minutes. When all is said and done, it costs us around 3-4 bucks per handle. I've also been able to make "custom" handles to promote our cherry beer! Turning your own tap handles is not rocket science. It is well within reach of most micros. And it's FUN!
            Prost!
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
              Turning your own tap handles is not rocket science. It is well within reach of most micros. And it's FUN!
              Prost!
              Dave
              yeah! hey, if we can build our very own 7bbl brewery than we can put out some tap handles!!
              Our Braut and Sushi Ale house will have custom glass blown handles....a local glass blower is bringing his kilns into the pub for a day and blowin away!!

But for draft accounts.........Anyone put out custom metal tap handles? My partner welds....no plasma yet, tig only right now. That makes me the grinder monkey! He has the compressor sitting and patiently waiting for the plasma to get funded.. A days work may get us a ways with the tig and some scrap metal.

.........thx schoonerexact!
              Last edited by SRB; 10-12-2008, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Dave,
                Do you paint or somehow seal your handles?

My vision (this week) is to cut a piece of 1 1/2" diameter maple, or other wood. I'd taper and put an insert in one end and find somehow to put a logo on the top of it and the name of the brew lengthwise down the trunk.

Wood burning, painting, laser etching... haven't thought that one out yet.

Just wondering if a coat of poly would be enough to seal everything in.

Comment

Originally posted by WitsEnd
                  Dave,
                  Do you paint or somehow seal your handles?

My vision (this week) is to cut a piece of 1 1/2" diameter maple, or other wood. I'd taper and put an insert in one end and find somehow to put a logo on the top of it and the name of the brew lengthwise down the trunk.

Wood burning, painting, laser etching... haven't thought that one out yet.

Just wondering if a coat of poly would be enough to seal everything in.

I give all my tap handles a double-coat of spray lacquer. Give a light sanding between coats with a very fine grit (like 200-400). The heads of the tap handles are square and I can use my bottle labels (minus the government warning and barcode) as the sticker.
                  Dave
                  Glacier Brewing Company
                  406-883-2595
                  info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by WitsEnd
                    Mind posting some more details? Pictures would be great.
                    I've been tossing around the idea rustic hand-made tap handles and would be interested in your process.
                    Got some pics of how we are doing it. You will be able to see what a drawn out process it is, but in the end we are very happy with the results.

Sorry about the cell phone pics, thats all I have at the office/brewery.

Here is the tap handle for our IPA. The running theme is the 'EXACT' down the bottom, and then we change the top depnding on which beer.

Here you can see the brass behind the handle itself. We buy and cut the solid brass stock. Machine and tap the hole for the faucet, and then also machine, tap, and face two holes to attach the front piece.

Here is a better pic of how everything is atttached. We use screws to attac everything with the spacers. We then putty the holes and sand smooth, stain the wood, apply the decal, and clear coat over everything.

And here are the finished products!

Last edited by SchoonerExact; 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM.
                    Marcus Connery
                    Wheelhouse Beverages

Comment

Originally posted by SchoonerExact
                      Got some pics of how we are doing it. You will be able to see what a drawn out process it is, but in the end we are very happy with the results.

Sorry about the cell phone pics, thats all I have at the office/brewery.

Here is the tap handle for our IPA. The running theme is the 'EXACT' down the bottom, and then we change the top depnding on which beer.

Here you can see the brass behind the handle itself. We buy and cut the solid brass stock. Machine and tap the hole for the faucet, and then also machine, tap, and face two holes to attach the front piece.

Here is a better pic of how everything is atttached. We use screws to attac everything with the spacers. We then putty the holes and sand smooth, stain the wood, apply the decal, and clear coat over everything.

And here are the finished products!

VERY nice job!!!
                      Glacier Brewing Company
                      406-883-2595
                      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                      X