Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely high amounts of floaties / protein - East coast New England style

Hello

New to the forum. So far it's been a wealth of knowledge and learning for me. A quick intro - my name is Matt, I'm 24, and am the founder of a Toronto-based Brewing Company (about 4 months old). We currently contract brew and have just 1 core brand - An East Coast style Pale Ale. We've had some issues with the beer since we started brewing. I will try to explain the situation in detail without being too long-winded (apologies, it will still probably be a long post). ANY and ALL input is greatly appreciated.

Problem
    Floaties formed in our first commercial size batch (80 hL). Not just small sediment particles that can be in suspension and eventually settle on the bottom of the glass, this is full on chunky sediment. See the 2 pictures attached that clearly have sediment for reference of what we ended up with. Goal for this beer was to be a east coast style APA (not necessarily as heavily hopped as NE style ales, we don't call it New england, but some characteristics of it.) Hazy, aromatic (hops), a little small sediment OK, but needs to not look too unappealing (I find that the Ontario market isn't as receptive or educated on these styles of beers Versus the USA, so I need to work my way into it slowly while educating)

Recipe Notes
    Mainly 2-row, 5% flaked oats, 5% flaked wheat.
    NO Whirlfloc used.
    0.5 pounds / BBL 10 min addition. 0.5 pounds / BBL whirlpool addition. 0.5 pounds /BBL Dry hop. All T90.
    Vermont / Conan yeast

Packaging Notes For this batch (2 pictures with obvious sediment) we did first 20ish hL through plate and frame filter, then solely unfiltered pumped the final 60 hL. Packaged in cans.

Other Notes
    Unfortunately, we are limited to brewing bigger batches than we'd like (versus small batches more frequently), so shelf life is a concern here. We distribute widely across the province, and if a store is a slower one, the product could get up to 3 months old before being consumed. We don't have the luxury of ensuring our beer is consumed fresh as we simply don't have the demand for it yet, and don't sell direct out of storefront (we'd have more shelf life control if we did).

We did not notice the heavy sediment forming until about 3 weeks after packaging. It seemed to develop and then get worse over time. This occured both cold storage cans and room temp cans. There was no indication of the issue right after packaging.

Side note - we've brewed another batch since. No recipe change. Just packaging change. The brewery got a centrifuge. So we ran first 15% through it, then went straight unfiltered pump over, then remaining 15% through centrifuge. Attached aswell is a picture of this batch fresh( the picture with hazy beer but no sediment). Whether this will also form the heavy sediment over time, only time will tell. My questions below regarding the first heavy sediment batch still stand though, and are below.

Questions
    1) What sort of sediment is this? Chill haze? I've seen my fair share of NE style beers, some more sediment than others, but VERY few as bad as my case. What's causing it?

2)Should I use whirlfloc? What amount / BBL? My logic behind not using it was that we use wheat and oats, and want to reap the outcomes of protein haze and mouthfeel, so why cancel those benefits out by using whirlfloc and leaving those proteins in the kettle? But now I'm wondering... If I still use wheat and oats and add whirlfloc, will it leave some of those haze causing and mouthfeel-adding proteins, thus still making wheat and oats beneficial, but remove some of the proteins that might be contributing to my issue that seems to form over time?

What got me thinking about my Question #2 is this article from Cerebral Brewing. http://cerebralbrewing.com/a-hazy-treatise/ The main quote from the article that got me thinking:

"Adding adjuncts to our grain bill. Things like oats, wheat and spelt add mouthfeel and body to the beer. With regard to the haze, it seems that proteins left in the beer could act as nucleation and aggregation points for any number of other molecules. It bears mentioning that we do use Whirlfloc in our boil, which is intended to flocculate proteins and other haze causing agents. Interesting, no? "

Do you think that I have too much, or a certain type of protein in my final product that is acting as nucleation and aggregation point for molecules (Thus slowly building themselves into the big floaties)?

3) From what I understand, to achieve the aroma and associated haze I want, if we choose to continue centrifuging, it has to be a partial centrifuge/ partial un-centrifuged. We dialled down the RPM to the lower limit, and have the beer flow going as fast as allowable, but this results in a product too visually clear for my liking, and has too much aroma stripped out of it. Thus the partial centrifuge. Does anyone think I could go to completely unfiltered (while implementing a new procedure like whirlfloc, or longer tank time) and make an even more aromatic beer that won't have the floatie issue? I'd be interested in that. Remember, I do have the 'restraint' of the necessity of giving the beer a half decently long shelf life due to how we sell and distribute.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	194785Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5153 (1).jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	194786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5541.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	194787

i think this

NO Whirlfloc used

Comment

Originally posted by vorlauf ninkasi View Post
      i think this

NO Whirlfloc used
      this

get those kettle proteins and trub out of there

not pleasant
      Todd G Hicks
      BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Hey Matt - fellow Ontario brewer here and I feel you with the markets need for clear beer. I would say do a couple pilot batches if you can (even on homebrew equipment) and add whirlfloc to one and not the other. Split store each batch (part warm, part cold). Could be the runoff time as well, we've done some beers with wheat that were fine, but had a rough transfer that took twice as long as normal and we ended up with chunks of nasty looking white protein in the kettle - it got mopped up with whirlfloc no problem. My suggestion is to switch to using whirlfloc and skip filtering - plate and frame filters can cause horrible O2 pickup and if your product is sitting on a warm LCBO shelf for 3 months, it's going to really degrade your product. I've had a few cans of your beer (super tasty) but I did find that the week it spent in my fridge in between each can being consumed left a lot to be desired compared to the first can I drank.

If this is helpful and you want to chat more, feel free to email me at karenbrews@williamstreetbeer.com
        Karen Belfry

Comment

As a consumer, I encountered a beer exactly like this one time from a brewery in Halifax, NS (Garrison Brewing Co.), that normally produces a very clear product. You could try emailing them to see if they tracked down the source of the problem.

See this comment thread for photos, beer name, and discussion: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/vie...hilit=floaties

EDIT: I see that you need to be a member of the forum to see images. I have attached those from the thread below. Also note that people found the same issue in other batches of a different beers, so it was their Ass-Kicker and Wild Ryed, at a minimum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7080_zps283d0936.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	191319Click image for larger version

Name:	ipa.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	191320Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk%2021368493427.716406.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	191321Click image for larger version

Name:	P1019654.JPG
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	191322
          Last edited by NS_Nano; 03-06-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KBbrews View Post
            My suggestion is to switch to using whirlfloc and skip filtering - plate and frame filters can cause horrible O2 pickup and if your product is sitting on a warm LCBO shelf for 3 months, it's going to really degrade your product.
            Thanks Karen, I'll reach out for sure if I have other questions arise. I think we'll still centrifuge the first 15-20% IF we are using a certain tank (no racking arm on it). If we do use a tank with a racking arm, and we go with your suggestion for using whirlfloc / not filtering, do you reckon that we'd be free from this problem? Obviously some sediment, but not the big ol' floaties?

Cheers

Comment

In addition to using whirfloc, be sure you have an effective whirlpool at the end of the boil. Active enough to compact a nice trub cone but not over active and shearing the proteins.

Comment

Where I'm brewing, we don't filter and through the combination of whirlfloc/good whirlpool/cold crashing we've been able to have beers ranging from crystal clear to pleasantly hazy, while leaving the floaties behind.
                Karen Belfry

Comment

This problem has been occurring with breweries the last 6 months or so. It only seems to happen with dry hopped beers and whirlfloc hasn't solved it. Neither has BrauSol or a host of other additives we've tried. From speaking to various malt suppliers, they're aware it's happening. What I've been told by all of them is it's partly to blame on the weather during the 2015 crop year. Protein counts came in higher and the last of that grain is still hitting the market. We've been told the 2016 crop year should not have this problem.

Comment

Look at optimised usage of kettle finings - as already stated. I'd also look at the following - not necessarily in this order

mashing in liquor pH no higher than 7.1, with low bicarbonates / carbonates

sufficient calcium in the mash? Enough to leave at least 25 ppm calcium in the beer at the end - so probably looking at

Mash pH - 5.2 measured at 20 C

Excessive malt carryover into wort kettle

After kettle finings, these are the ones I would look at.

maturation time and temperature prior to centrifugation. Suggested temperature < 4 deg C, for 48 hours minimum

Run all the sediment off before you start centrifuging. If you put the heavy protein sediment through your centrifuge, you break up the protein into smaller particles instead of removing them with the centrifuge.

Cold conditioning time and temperature post centrifuge- time too short, temperature too high.
                    dick

Comment

BioFine

Do you get good Hot Break in kettle..?
                      Irish Moss in kettle and some Biofine in post Fermentation.
                      That should clear up your problem.
                      Good luck

Lance
                      Rebel Malting
                      Reno, Nevada USA

Comment

Dry hopping

I too have run into this problem doing my white ipa, but I ran into the same problem about 3 or four years ago too 1st another brewery. Both were dry hopped beers and both were unfitered. It probably has something to do with nucleation points from the hop particles that are still in the beer as well as the increase in protein in the malt. My white ipa became crystal clear in the can but with lumps of protein in the bottom. I don't make it often enough to be able to really work on solving the problem but let us know how the centrifuging goes. If anything, hip a little more intensly so that you can run it through the centrifuge at 100% and end up the same product that you have now. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X