Looking into starting a 1 BBL Nano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into starting a 1 BBL Nano

I am currently looking into starting a 1 BBL Nano. Can anyone give a recommendation on how many fermenters I should start with? I would like to be running 3 taps in a small tasting room. Also I would like to use an electric system for brewing. Do you think there would be a problem using this panel. http://www.ebrewsupply.com/50a-pid-c...el-4-elements/

Thanks,

Jarrod

fermentors

How often do you plan on brewing a week?

be sure to read the thread on opening a nano and that anything less than 3bbl struggles to be profitable. We have a 1.5bbl "hobby" brewery that works but has limitations. Id be happy to talk.

s

Comment

1 BBL got cut

murmsk

After talking it over with everyone involved in the project we will now be going with a 3 or 5 BBL system. Thanks for offering to talk we me about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcq2xl View Post
        murmsk

After talking it over with everyone involved in the project we will now be going with a 3 or 5 BBL system. Thanks for offering to talk we me about it.
        Good move. I have a 1.5-ish BBL nano that is just for home use, and I'm pretty sure it's the most-expensive-per-beer possible in terms of equipment. I have all the fancy stainless of a 10BBL setup, and none of the profit...!!! Ah well, keeps me off the streets.

From what I've learned, go one step bigger than you think you'll need. You can always brew one less day per week, but the day will never be 26 hours long.....

-J.
        Jeremy Reed
        Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
        The North of 48 Brewing Company
        Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

I am currently looking into starting a 1 BBL Nano. Can anyone give a recommendation on how many fermenters I should start with? I would like to be running 3 taps in a small tasting room. Also I would like to use an electric system for brewing. Do you think there would be a problem using this panel. http://www.ebrewsupply.com/50a-pid-c...el-4-elements/

Thanks,

Jarrod
          We have a 1.5 bb nano - you can make a profit but it is hard work for limited output. Running 3 boils per day to fill 500L fermenters can work but you need a decent size HLT or a hot water system and a separate whirlpool to cut the overall brewing time. Go bigger if you have the space and cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All my research indicates that you need to have a 10bbl system to give yourself some growing room. Otherwise you end up running out of capacity and incurring the capital costs of upgrading or replacing your brewery way too early.

Comment

Originally posted by whunt91 View Post
              All my research indicates that you need to have a 10bbl system to give yourself some growing room. Otherwise you end up running out of capacity and incurring the capital costs of upgrading or replacing your brewery way too early.
              That's what I've seen around here too. Anyone who's started with a system <10BBL has upgraded within 24 months. The one that's "started big" are still using their original gear.
              Jeremy Reed
              Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella

www.no48.ca

Comment

not always

Im about to hit my 3rd anniversary. Still doing 5BBL with no plans to go past that. Ill top out at 3000sqft of tap rooms space in a smallish town.
                5BBL is the right size for me, all over the bar at retail. I have 3 5BBL fermenters now, planning on going to five 5BBL ferms and one 10BBL.
                If planning on distribution of any kind I would rec at least 10BBL system, prefer 15 or 20.

Comment

Originally posted by FarGohn View Post
                  Im about to hit my 3rd anniversary. Still doing 5BBL with no plans to go past that. Ill top out at 3000sqft of tap rooms space in a smallish town.
                  5BBL is the right size for me, all over the bar at retail. I have 3 5BBL fermenters now, planning on going to five 5BBL ferms and one 10BBL.
                  If planning on distribution of any kind I would rec at least 10BBL system, prefer 15 or 20.
                  “All over the bar” is the key here.

Everyone around here distributes in some way, whether it’s just a few kegs to a few taps, or 100,000 cans a month.

-J.
                  Jeremy Reed

www.no48.ca

Comment

Thanks,

Jarrod
                    Still planning on going with ebrew supply for the control panel? I'm curious if anyone is using them for a nano being that they are not UL listed?

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
                      Still planning on going with ebrew supply for the control panel? I'm curious if anyone is using them for a nano being that they are not UL listed?
                      We currently use the 50 amp system from ebrew supply. While we are not brewing multiple times a week, there are things to watch as a commercial brewery with this set up. And they can upgrade the panel.
                      Jason Blair
                      MadCow Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by madcowbrewing View Post
                        We currently use the 50 amp system from ebrew supply. While we are not brewing multiple times a week, there are things to watch as a commercial brewery with this set up. And they can upgrade the panel.
                        Thanks for the info, as far as I understood If you not a homebrewer, Your operating a commercial brewery regardless of size? Is this not the case?. I understand many of the smaller nanos often fall under inspectors radar. I don't know if the rules are different for farm breweries operating nanos on thier home property but I've heard of people having to divide thier property so the nano is officially on a separate lot and I assumed it was operating as commercial.
                        Last edited by augiedoggy; 03-29-2018, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
                          Thanks for the info, as far as I understood If you not a homebrewer, Your operating a commercial brewery regardless of size? Is this not the case?. I understand many of the smaller nanos often fall under inspectors radar. I don't know if the rules are different for farm breweries operating nanos on thier home property but I've heard of people having to divide thier property so the nano is officially on a separate lot and I assumed it was operating as commercial.
                          I’m not getting into the legalities of home vs commercial, but I think eBrew Ryan could make you a uL certified box if you need. If he can’t, Ryan at Craft Automation certainly can.

JR
                          Jeremy Reed

www.no48.ca

Comment

Don't have anything to add to this thread other than that I checked the ebrew site out of curiosity and he's got a UL listed option on there for only a bit more: https://ebrewsupply.com/products/ele...-ul-cul-listed

Comment

Thanks, my question was more or less if there were a lot of breweries out there already using non ul listed panels since I built my own (using UL listed components and built to code) but I don't really want to send it out for the union to bless it considering costs if I don't have to.

Comment

Working...
                              X