How much ginger per BBL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much ginger per BBL?

I'm looking to make a pale wheat with some ginger. Anyone have any recommendations for rates? Probably want a medium ginger present in the beer. Thanks in advance.
    Brad Primozic
    Owner/Brewer
    Insurrection AleWorks
    Heidelberg, PA

I use ginger in my Christmas Ale at about a rate of 0.5 lbs. per bbl., along with other spices. The ginger is definitely noticeable in the final product with our being over whelming. Brewing this lighter beer, this should be enough, when I use it, I smash up the roots and add them in a muslin bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Jim Lieb
    Brewer Rocky River Brewing

Comment

Ginger

I just put a ginger ale on in our tap room. I added 6 kilograms of fresh ginger near the end of fermentation. It was added to 500 litres of a mild pale ale. The result has been surprisingly popular.mom

Comment

[QUOTE=ddraper;198648]I just put a ginger ale on in our tap room. I added 6 kilograms of fresh ginger near the end of fermentation. It was added to 500 litres of a mild pale ale. The result has been surprisingly popular.mom[/QUOTE

what does your crowd like most about it? aroma, flavor, heat

would you say one of those components are more prevalent than the other?

6kg for what volume?

i've been wanting to try some fresh grated ginger (skin removed) on the cold side.

Comment

in my experience, 1.75 oz/bbl of fresh grated ginger root in the whirlpool gives a gentle ginger note to a wheat beer. Just enough to cut through, but not over the top.

Comment

[QUOTE=ibrewforyou;198660]
            Originally posted by ddraper View Post
            I just put a ginger ale on in our tap room. I added 6 kilograms of fresh ginger near the end of fermentation. It was added to 500 litres of a mild pale ale. The result has been surprisingly popular.mom[/QUOTE

what does your crowd like most about it? aroma, flavor, heat

would you say one of those components are more prevalent than the other?

6kg for what volume?

i've been wanting to try some fresh grated ginger (skin removed) on the cold side.
            The brew now has 10kg added near the end of fermentation in a 500 litre batch. The general comments are they like the light kick from the ginger. People who buy bottles/growlers to go generally are buying it for patio drinking or to accompany Asian food...

I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X