Silo Filling - Long Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silo Filling - Long Run

We have a silo in the back of our building. It's roughly 200 ft. from the street. In the past the grain truck has backed down our driveway and filled the silo. Now that we are filling the silo much more frequently it's becoming an issue. The last time the truck broke our fence, the time before the truck blocked the road for 20 minutes during rush hour trying to make the turn, and every time we have to get the neighbors to move their cars so that the truck can make the turn regardless. It is becoming an issue. The supplier said they can bring 120 ft. of hose maximum, typically 40 ft.

Thus we are looking to put in a long (straight) run of PVC or movable Grounded Hose to bridge the gap between the truck and the silo.

PVC is proving tricky. I can't find an end piece that will connect the Camlock NPT fitting with the schedule 40 pipe. I have found a fitting for DSW PVC, but DSW isn't rated for any pressure and 4" DSW PVC is actually a different size than regular 4" PVC, thus I'm worried that the NPT threads won't fit together. If there is a solution I would love to know - as a straight run of PVC, with the bendable hoses used at each end, is by far the cheapest solution.

Grounded tubing is definitely an option, but I can only find 100' of grounded 4" tubing in the $2,800 to $3,500 range. If I can get 100' of grounded tubing, with the 4" Camlock ends, in the $1,500 range I would buy it immediately. Does anyone know of such a vendor?

Or does anyone have a different solution for bridging a 100' gap of 4" diameter for filling a silo, that is still in the $1,500 range?

Thanks for reading.

Are you looking for a permanently mounted pipe? Or something temporary you can bring out when the malt truck arrives?

What about just buying 100 feet of the flexible hose and have them bring the 120 feet?

Comment

I'm open to either hard pipe or flexible hose.

As I stated I've researched both options, now it comes down to the proper fittings (PVC) and price (Hose). Has anyone ran into this issue and found a reasonably priced solution?

Originally posted by PFL View Post
      Are you looking for a permanently mounted pipe? Or something temporary you can bring out when the malt truck arrives?

What about just buying 100 feet of the flexible hose and have them bring the 120 feet?

Comment

Working...
      X