Fermentation Odors in Taproom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentation Odors in Taproom

I'll be opening a taproom this year with fermenters in the same space as the taproom. No partitions.

I'll be doing a fair amount of lager and my strain of choice tends to throw a lot of sulfur.

Anyone have tips and tricks for dealing with the odors of fermentation within their customer space?

No idea if this would work, but have you seen those poo-pourri things? It's like a scented liquid you put in the toilet water before you dump somewhere public, and it is supposed to make it not stink. I've never tried, but what if you put that in your blow-off bucket?
    That being said I think you will get more stink from floor drains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dmartin View Post
      No idea if this would work, but have you seen those poo-pourri things? It's like a scented liquid you put in the toilet water before you dump somewhere public, and it is supposed to make it not stink. I've never tried, but what if you put that in your blow-off bucket?
      That being said I think you will get more stink from floor drains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I don't see that working. Those products work by coating the surface in a light oil which holds surface tension. When you drop your package the surface closes and to some degree coats any floaters, keeping the stink from the air. A fermenter bucket is going to constantly break the tension with CO2 bubbles carrying the sulphur stink.

Comment

Originally posted by VennBrewer View Post
        I'll be opening a taproom this year with fermenters in the same space as the taproom. No partitions.

I'll be doing a fair amount of lager and my strain of choice tends to throw a lot of sulfur.

Anyone have tips and tricks for dealing with the odors of fermentation within their customer space?
        There are a lot of taprooms that ferment in the same space and I would think plenty of the do the odd lager. I really don't think it will be an issue for 99% of your customer. I would assume you will have some sort of ventilation.

Comment

Originally posted by TiminOz View Post
          There are a lot of taprooms that ferment in the same space and I would think plenty of the do the odd lager. I really don't think it will be an issue for 99% of your customer. I would assume you will have some sort of ventilation.
          Agreed. But if it comes to be an issue you can look at ozone generators or ionic fans. Some are even both. These are not cheap, the commercial combo ones start in the low thousands. Both need fresh air to vent as ozone can become toxic! Stay safe!

Comment

How about plumbing your blow-offs to the great outdoors??

-J.
            Jeremy Reed
            Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
            The North of 48 Brewing Company
            Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post
              How about plumbing your blow-offs to the great outdoors??

-J.
              +1. DMS stinks!

I would avoid any kind of ozone generator like the plague. Not only is ozone highly toxic, it smells horrible at any significant concentration, and will degrade many plastics and rubbers. We tried an ozone generator after a sewage leak at another business. It did not neutralize the odors, just added it's own stink.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Plumbing Outdoors

Thanks for the input, guys.

I think plumbing the off gas to the outdoors is a fine idea. Still need to wrap my head around creating some kind of manifold with airlocks still in place for each fermenter. Any ideas are welcome!

For what it's worth, I'm the brewer at another taproom currently, and when we do lagers with my house lager strain, the taproom smells like a fart for days. People notice.

Comment

Working...
                X