Liquid Alternative to PBW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Alternative to PBW

I've been using PBW in the brewery but find it rather awkward. It cleans well but adding the powder into a hose can be messy and I find that, often, not all of the powder dissolves into solution. This can be a pain in the arse when cleaning a closed tank such as a Grundy.

Can anyone recommend a cleaner in liquid form which does a similar job?

Thanks

G

I don't know of a liquid form of alkaline cleaner that wouldn't be really expensive at quantities needed to clean tanks. Penetrate is a liquid cleaner for tap lines, but it's sold in quarts. However, I do get your frustrations when it comes to PBW or other powdered cleaners. When we clean tanks, I dissolve the PBW in a small quantity of water and then add that concentrate to the tank, along with the rest of the water in the CIP cycle. For instance, to clean a 3BBL tank, I dissolve about 4.5 oz. of PBW in 3 quarts of hot water. I stir a bit to dissolve it all, then pour that into about 5 more gallons of hot water in the tank and recirculate. That procedure makes sure almost all of the cleaner makes it into the tank. Hope that helps.

Comment

We use a PBW-like product in powder form. We use a 5gal bucket and a large stainless whisk to dissolve it. You can dissolve a quart of powder in ~4gal with little issue.

Comment

PBW is really just an alkaline cleaner with an oxidative component. You can achieve the same or better results using a liquid caustic with an oxidative additive. The cost will be lower and often you will achieve better results. The big drawback from products like PBW is that the base alkalinity is relatively low which forces you to use higher use concentrations. Additionally, the oxidizer component starts to degrade if the container is not completely closed since it reacts with the humidity from the air and starts reacting. Many former customer using "non-caustic" cleaners have switched to our products and are much happier. I will be happy to walk you through the products. Contact me directly at Loeffler.dirk@loefflerchemical.com. Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Loeffler Chemical Corporation
        (404) 629-0999
        800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
        www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

I find soaking dirty brewery parts in pbw is way more effective than soaking in caustic. Anyone know why this is? What does everyone use for soaking stuff?

Comment

Loffler, Birko and Eco-lab all have better products than 5star.
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by bcryan View Post
              I find soaking dirty brewery parts in pbw is way more effective than soaking in caustic. Anyone know why this is? What does everyone use for soaking stuff?
              It appears to be more effective because it contains an oxidizer. To truly compare apples and apples, you would have to use a caustic with an oxidative additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Loeffler Chemical Corporation
              (404) 629-0999
              800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
              www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

Working...
              X