No announcement yet.

Anti-sieze compounds for tank leg pegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-sieze compounds for tank leg pegs?

Hi there,
    I am wondering what type of anti-sieze compound should get applied to the pegs that help adjust tank heights and levelness? Could teflon tape do just as well?
    Thanks
    John

I use CRC Food Grade Anti Seize. Not only leg screws and pegs, you can feel good about using a dab of it on nuts and bolts on your bottling line heads.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

For something like legs, with no possibility of product contamination, I use Permatex 133K (Item #80078). It's not specific for SS, but it works just fine, and a little bit goes a long way. I've got an 8 oz bottle I bought some thirty years ago, and it's still more than half full.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

If stainless vs. stainless....

Stainless is notorious for galling. Threads strip and bind easily under load. That's why frequently disassembled stainless joints often feature a brass nut. Not a bad question, nor one that has one easy answer. I've had so many stainless threads peel/gall/snag/catch... Whatever you call it, the result is pretty much catastrophic and you are ahead of the game by applying something to mitigate the eventual tightening, tightening, tightening, overtightening of a wrench on what is supposed to be free turning threads. And when that wrench tightens, it can't UN-happen. You're screwed. Not in the good way--those threads are toast. The best I've come across is Never-Seez, but they have so many choices that it's up to your distributor to tell you which one is good for non-food contact stainless threads against stainless threads in an application that doesn't require disassembly often, but must be un-fastened under pressure. Great information to share with all those who are inserting those threaded legs and articulating levelers on brewery equipment. Ounce of prevention here, folks. Best of luck and thumbs up for thinking ahead!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Locktite has a product for this
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
            Stainless is notorious for galling. Threads strip and bind easily under load. [...]
            True, true, true! High quality components sometimes have silver plating on one set of threads to prevent this, especially in high purity applications where you can't apply any lubricants. Parker A-Lok, for example. It can still gall if you turn it too quickly. But if it's a fitting that will be disassembled frequently, it's better to spend the extra money. Tank legs, sure, use good anti-seize.

Regards,
            Mike Sharp

Comment

Working...
            X