Expected CE or BBL sales per rep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected CE or BBL sales per rep?

Trying to figure out how many CEs or BBLs we could expect per sales rep. An average is fine but figure a major city plus surrounding areas, at least a 100 mile radius per rep. Roughly 10 packaged skus in cans, great branding and quality product. Of course styles that are hot at the moment as well as staples. In the process of doing an expansion business plan and trying to figure out how much we can expect out of a rep.
    And we expect a base salary of around 25k with commission along with a company car and health care/401k

Thanks

It doesn't work that way. And how could someone possibly give you an idea with absoloutely no information to go on. Do you self-distribute? What other popular local or relevant brands does your wholesaler have? Where are you priced? What major authorizations do you have? Is on premise part of this role? $25k and a car will get you a warm body that knows nothing about managing a wholesaler. You are now at the level where people F it up because they don't understand the middle tier of the system.

Back in the 90's when I built the #3 craft brand (at the time), an average day was a new draught account and 2 case placements. I would think you would be hard pressed to do that today with all the brands out there. I also wouldn't base my model around a rep making no money. Read up on distributor management specific to the beer business. Think more about building relationships.
    Last edited by BeerBred; 04-07-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Here's some more information
      Do not self distribute, we have a few wholesalers. Middle to middle/high pricing among craft brands. Figure $40 retail for case of IPA, $30 for typical beers, $48 for DIPA.
      This is strictly off premise accounts and is total sales in their area, not only new accounts but repeat accounts. I am figuring around 50k for the sales person plus or minus some based on goals, but a base of 25k. They are also not going into a completely new market to our brand and in fact will be covering areas that have been asking for it. Today we can not keep up with demand and this is part of a planned expansion but with the expansion we absolutely will need to sell a good bit more.

Not sure what you mean by authorizations but we can certainly "sell" beer and have the wholesalers deliver and invoice them.

Repeat business is exactly what we want so maintaining good relationships is key. Today we have a decent number of permanent taps and many that rotate us in, we honestly think by visiting these places we will sell more by either additional turns in the rotation or additional taps.

Comment

I like it. Authorizations are given by major retailers. It's like permission to sell in their stores. Sometimes an authorization comes with placement in the next cooler reset, sometimes it merely gives you permission to go store by store and ask for placement from the store manager. Have the rep go pick the low lying fruit, the independents. Be sure you have some agreed upon policy with the wholesaler if your guy is working alone. How will the route rep place the order for example, your guy sells a 5 case stack, who orders the beer? Will you leave it up to the store owner to do it on the next visit from the D rep? Too much can go wrong there... Guy forgets, changes mind etc... But the independents are easy, no authorization required. C stores are the toughest, depending on the chain, most only go with proven brands. Some will go with a brand like yours if they have a good relationship with the wholesaler. Go after large volume, but do it with the wholesaler rep or manager, Wal Marts etc...

Remember that your guy should be compensated on total volume, not just how much HE sold. Sounds like you have this covered. Look for his metrics in % of volume increase. You can convert that to CE's if you like. IE, lets say your annual volume is 20,000 barrels... 13,000 of those are off premise.. You want to increase off premise 25% in his first year... Just do the math.

But have your guy work on relationships with key distributor route reps and area managers... Buy lunch... Get them to work for you while you're elsewhere... See?

Let me know what else...

Comment

Working...
        X