Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building/sourcing control panel for burners

Hiya all,

I'm building a mostly manual brewhouse, and need a way to control my Midco burners. At the most basic level, I am thinking:
    - an enclosure housing 3 PID temp displays
    - of which one of which will just be a readout of mash tun temp
    - and the other two will read HLT and BK temp, and send on/off signal to burners as needed
    - kill button for boil-overs, dry-fire protection, etc.

I do not anticipate needing any other bells and whistles. Pumps can be powered and controlled manually (washdown centrifugal pumps with VFD, on carts).

I am not an electronics guy at all! I am capable of basic building wiring and such, but not building a control panel myself, unless I was spoon-fed a parts list and assembly instructions. But I know this would be a really simple project for some people.

Does anyone know of any resources I could go to, to be spoon-fed details for building this myself? Or is there a kit available on the market? Or better still, an off the shelf version that is basic and inexpensive? Bru Gear sell a control panel that almost meets my needs, only $1600, but it honestly is still way more than I need, and the interface (wireless GUI, via software on a tablet or phone) is obviously set up for complicated mash schedules used by the HERMS/Rims homebrew guys. I wan't the simplicity and reliability of adjusting temp pushing an up or down button on a PID, not via software on a screen.

Any advice or resources appreciated,

Cheers!

I just found this, might be all I need, but happy to hear anyone's thoughts still. More than I need to spend, but I sure like not having to build anything, and there's some great safety features built in.

http://www.ebrewsupply.com/gas-pid-c...panel-2-3-gas/

Comment

Depending on your local inspector you're going to want to get a prebuilt panel no matter what. Our inspector (sonoma County) wanted to have the entire panel UL listed, so even if we'd bought all the right components we would have still had to have someone come out and certify the panel - made the choice easier.
      Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
        Depending on your local inspector you're going to want to get a prebuilt panel no matter what. Our inspector (sonoma County) wanted to have the entire panel UL listed, so even if we'd bought all the right components we would have still had to have someone come out and certify the panel - made the choice easier.
        Good advice, thank you. Are the off-the-shelf panels typically not UL listed? Was it a big deal getting someone to inspect an off-the-shelf panel (not a kit) and approve it? Who would do the inspection?

Cheers

Comment

Manuel is correct that for your build out inspection, the electrical inspector will want to see UL Listing.
          I worked with Ryan at EBrew Supply and found his work to be great. His panels are not UL listed as that is not his market, but I found him willing to custom build what I was looking for at a reasonable price

Comment

It used to be in California (at least in the area I operated, north of Santa Barbara and South of Paso Robles) that an industrial control panel did not have to be specifically listed as long as it used only RU components ("UL Recognized"), and was assembled by a licensed C10 General Electrical contractor. However, this was quite some time ago, and the rules may have changed. I also had considerable push-back from some inspectors in the Santa Barabara area. My company was based in San Luis Obispo, and we were doing this from around 1983 to about 1998.

I'd check with the local jurisdiction on this, especially since you're using gas controls. If they are going to be strict about it, you might as well buy it from a UL 508 certified panel shop, and I'm not even sure they can label a gas control panel. But if the panel just has connections for the gas control, and the burner and it's controls (e.g. flame safety stuff) are a separate package, it may not make a difference. If you do have to get it listed, I doubt you'll save money by buying from EBrew Supply, although his quality and design seems very good. Field listing of a system will be pretty expensive.

One thing to keep in mind--the code does not necessarily require a UL listing; it has to be a "recognized testing laboratory" and I've heard that ETL is much cheaper than UL. But as I've said, I've had troubles with some jurisdictions (mainly Santa Barbara, and mainly just a couple of the inspectors, who are hopefully retired by now) if the thing didn't say "UL" on it. :/

Here's the list of ETL locations for California: http://www.intertek.com/contact/amer...itedstates/#ca

If it was just electrical only, I've wondered if you could get away with an electric brew house that was cord-and-plug connected. Once the electrical is in as far as the receptacle, call for the electrical final. All that's there is a large receptacle. I've put in lots of electrical branch circuits for large winery equipment that was inspected and passed before the machinery itself ever arrived. Still, your insurance carrier may require the listing of the panel and system. And in your case, there's a gas connection, so I'm sure the inspector will want to see what's connected to it.

Regards,
            Mike Sharp

Comment

Mike, thanks for that detailed information. Sounds like I need to look into this some more.

If anyone has any links or resources pointing to panels purely for gas control, particularly UL listed, please do share.

Cheers

Comment

Maybe less than you need, but you might be able to make a couple of the Blichmann modules work for you: https://www.morebeer.com/products/bl...gas-fired.html

Pretty sure all the Blichmann stuff is UL, but double check. Two modules would allow you to control your mash and HLT, and your kettle could be manual. Run you about a grand. Bit more with the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by NS_Nano View Post
                  Maybe less than you need, but you might be able to make a couple of the Blichmann modules work for you: https://www.morebeer.com/products/bl...gas-fired.html

Pretty sure all the Blichmann stuff is UL, but double check. Two modules would allow you to control your mash and HLT, and your kettle could be manual. Run you about a grand. Bit more with the stand.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...er#slideshow-2
                  Great tip! I've emailed Blichman asking for more information on the suitability of this.

Cheers

Comment

Where in Norcal are you? I've got a great electrician that can probably get you set up with everything you need, he does nothing but wineries and breweries so he can probably help you with local inspectors as well.
                    Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
                      Where in Norcal are you? I've got a great electrician that can probably get you set up with everything you need, he does nothing but wineries and breweries so he can probably help you with local inspectors as well.
                      PM sent, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X