Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactobacillus Brevis (Yeast 5223-PC)

Good afternoon;
    Anyone used this strain before? Wyeast said it was more hop tolerant than lactobacillus strains they had in the past (such as 5445), but did not give any info on how many IBU's
    Any ideas?

Using it to make a Gose; will do a kettle sour method...yea I know, there are probably better ways, but I am fine with this method, and I only have a weekend to get this done before we deal with our regular production schedule.
    Also looking for an idea on what wort pH I should be looking for before I start boiling?

Advice is always appreciated.
    David

If you are doing it as a kettle sour then hop tolerance shouldn't be an issue. Get to kettle full, heat to kill off unwanted growth, chill to lacto pitch temp and pitch lacto without a hop addition until you reach the desired pH. Bring to boil and add hops as desired and treat as you would any other brewery boil and transfer.

Comment

I'd recommend omega fast sour blend over the Brevis, does a much better job getting down to low PH fast. I'd look for 3.4- 3.5 ph at the maximum for a gose

Comment

Thanks guys.

Got another question. Upon reading up on the style, a few recipes recommend adding hops to the mash.

This brings me back to my original question: How hop tolerant is this yeast? Wyeast laboratories could not give me an answer...

dvarga

Comment

Working...
        X