YCH Resinate Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YCH Resinate Question

So I am experimenting with the mosaic resinate product from YCH ( have a dozen cans) and was wondering if anyone could give me a basic conversion of oz/grams of the resin to oz of hops? I am trying to convert my pellet hop recipe...

The cans come in either 150gm of AA or 300 gm of AA, typical efficiency is 35% for a 60 minute addition. You don't need to do a hop oz to resinate oz conversion because you already know how much AA you have, just calculate the total AA into the brew with the efficiency percentage, volume of the batch and either 150 or 300 for the total weight of AA.

YCH has some calculators on their website for this too.

Comment

Easy conversion

I ballpark at 2.5 lbs of Mosaic per 150 gma tin. Honestly, if you are not buttering solely I wouldn't really pay too much attention to efficiency. Here is he math I use to get this:
      2.5 lbs x 454grams/lb x .13%AA= 148 grams of alpha

I've used this approximation for quite some time, and it works well for aroma varieties. As you can see from the above equation, the lbs approximation really all depends on the alpha of the variety. Cheers

Comment

How have you found this to work as a late edition to the boil (say 5 minute)? Most of our beers do not have any hop additions before 10 minutes at the most...

Comment

We don't use it as a late addition. I did look into it, reached out to a few people that I respect in the industry, they indicated that it was good for bittering, and middle of the boil, but late additions are not something people usually do. I have used lupulin powder, I would recommend that for aroma based additions it is much easier to measure. You could also look for T45 pellets. These were the recommendations made to me, and if Vinnie says that its a better way, then I am inclined to lean that way. Also, if you haven't used the extract yet, be forewarned the resin sticks to the kettle and only really comes off with caustic.

Comment

Resinate Conversion Calculators Available Online

Product information sheets and conversions calculators for Resinate® CO2 Hop Extract can be downloaded at https://ychhops.com/hop-products/res...o2-hop-extract
            YCH HOPS
            A Yakima Chief - Hopunion Brand
            hops@ychhops.com
            www.ychhops.com

Comment

Fyi

As an FYI to brewers on this thread... We did a trial 1bbl batch using Only the Mosaic and Cascade Resinate late in the boil (5 minutes)... I have to say... Anyone who says this stuff should only be used mid or early boil is dead wrong... The flavor/aroma in this batch is unreal and without the hop trub that makes it impossible to transfer 1/2 the time. Very smooth flavor profile that I would call very floral with a light citrus finish. Glad we decided to buck the trend and see for ourselves!

Comment

While we have not used this product yet I think some of the people suggesting its only good for bittering may be drawing experience from back in the day when they made a bittering only product. Now YCH has variety specific products suitable for late additions. Founders from what I remember is a big proponent of late/whirlpool additions.YCH might better address this.

Comment

Working...
                X