Kink In Transfer Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kink In Transfer Hose

Our 50ft long transfer hose got a kink in it over the weekend. I was able to straighten it out without too much trouble, can still see where the kink was somewhat. Maybe I'm being paranoid but is there an increased risk of bugs hiding in there now? Should I replace the hose or is it still good. Hose is only 3 months old.

-Vic

It's hard to say. I've been with breweries who wouldn't take the chance and scrap the hose, and I have also been with others who are willing to take the risk and keep using it. My suggestion to you is get a new 50ft hose for transfer and cut the kinked one down and band on some fittings and have a few 10ft section hoses for non sanitary stuff like dumps and such. But in the end it's your decision and your willingness on taking the risk of losing a batch.

Comment

I'll bet that the hose eventually fails at the kink. The hose liner will likely separate from the inside of the hose--a very insidious failure, and a great place for nasties to breed and hang out. I'd cut the hose back about 6" either side of the kink and have new TC ends installed. Much cheaper than replacing the hose.

We've experienced one bad infection from a flawed hose, and had to dump a lot of bad beer. Don't take the risk.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Can't find it!

Today I went to cut out the kinked section of the hose and since I straightened it out yesterday I can't find where it was kinked! Can't see any marks on the outside of the hose that would give me a clue as to where it was kinked. UGH!

Comment

Look around on Ebay and/or Amazon for a cell-phone-compatible endoscope. They can be had for ~$20 or less. Mine is 15' long, so I can inspect hoses to 30' in length. Monitor the inside of that hose, as it is likely to develop a separated liner.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X