Water Profile for American Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Profile for American Wheat

I have been asked to brew an American Wheat beer and was hoping someone could recommend a good water profile.

Ive brewed my fair share of American Wheat beers and I would recommend either a very neutral based water profile or mimic the water profile from Bavaria (somewhat hard and basic) depending on what kind of base water you are working with. After that I would use a neutral yeast like WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. Also make sure to add rice hulls if your grain bill is %25 or more of the wheat you use.....this also depends on how confident you are in your system. After that ive found that adding certain flavorings to the boil can make it more refreshing like lemon grass or orange peel. This beer is also meant to be alittle hazy and Ive turned big batches of American Wheat beers in an average of 12 days when fining it the same day as cold crashing. Good Luck!!

Comment

American Wheat is not a style that is dependent upon overt water character. The Bavarian (Munich) profile could be suitable since it has relatively low mineralization. Add or subtract sulfate as your require to dry the beer's finish out. The main goal will be to bring the mashing and wort pH (room-temp) to around 5.4 or a little less.
      WaterEng
      Engineering Consultant

Comment

Working...
      X