Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewmation/Stout site glass question

Hello,

I have just installed my new Brewmation/Stout 3 BBL brewhouse. I have a 140 Gallon dome top BK but the site glass has no markings on it, and I do not have a flow meter. I guess I can go through the task of pouring 5 gallon buckets into and then marking, but I wanted to ask here 1st to see if anyone had it measured out.

Thank you

I'd also be curious about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernerbrewer View Post
      I'd also be curious about this.
      Fill the dish with 5 gal. Buckets until you get to the vertical sides. Measure from water line to top of vertical. Then it is as simple as 3.14 x radius squared x height for total volume in cubic inches. Divide by 231 for total gallons. From there you can easily work out how many gallons are in one vertical inch and mark out your sight tube from there.

Comment

Just buy a super cheap garden hose flow meter from amazon and hook it up to get your initial readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How to calibrate your sight glass

There are a few different ways to calibrate your sight glasses. The best, most accurate way is to fill up 1/2 bbl kegs (or other size of your preference) with water. Then add the water from the keg to the kettle. Make a mark once each half bbl that is added to the brew kettle. This way you can calibrate you sight glass to your preference by the 1/6, 1/4 or 1/2 bbl interval.

If you have any further questions feel free to email us support@stouttanks.com

Cheers,
          Tyler
          Sales and Support
          Stout Tanks and Kettles
          Cheers,
          Tyler
          Sales and Technical Brewing Support
          Stout Tanks and Kettles
          www.StoutTanks.com

Comment

This depends on how accurate you want to be. Cheap flow meters are innacurate. Keg volumes are inaccurate. I bought a 5-gallon calibrated container. Any way you choose to measure it will be only kind of accurate as the water volume will change with temperature. I filled my two-barrel Kettle a container at a time and marked off the increments. You can also fill it to the point where the sides of the kettle are straight. Then fill and dump another couple containers in and measure the difference in height. You can then measure up that height and mark in 5 gal increments. I just filled the whole thing in 5-gallon increments as I was only planning on doing it once and that many buckets doesn't really take that long to do. I know where I need to be volume wise at the end of mash now, and don't even use the sight glass as it broke a long time ago and was extremely difficult to replace.
            Last edited by fatback; 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TyleratStout View Post
              There are a few different ways to calibrate your sight glasses. The best, most accurate way is to fill up 1/2 bbl kegs (or other size of your preference) with water. Then add the water from the keg to the kettle. Make a mark once each half bbl that is added to the brew kettle. This way you can calibrate you sight glass to your preference by the 1/6, 1/4 or 1/2 bbl interval.

If you have any further questions feel free to email us support@stouttanks.com

Cheers,
              Tyler
              Sales and Support
              Stout Tanks and Kettles
              Just poking the bear here. But wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers of tanks graduated sight tubes before selling them? I'm no fabricator, but I would hope that there isn't a lot of variance from one "same volume" tank to the next.
              Just saying....

Comment

Working...
              X