Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery floor sanity check

Evening all

Just signed a lease on the building for my new brewery, and something which I know will need attention is the floor. I have about 500sqft available for the brew house itself at this time and I'm looking to put in a trench drain from the get go.

Couple of questions:

Would it be sensible to put one long drain down the center line of the brew house (sloping the concrete accordingly), or would it be better to put a row of drain along the front face of the brew system, with another row of drain in front of the three compartment sink (which will also serve as the keg washing/bottle filling stand) I.e. one large drain for everything, or smaller ones at point of use?

This location will never be big enough to accommodate a forklift to move anything around so weight considerations for moving pallets of grain etc over the drain are not an issue. Also planning on cutting the slab ourselves and just using a local plumber to tie the trench drain into the sanitary sewer.

Anyone have any experience with a municipality requiring a grease trap for a brewery? Seems like I don't do anything involving grease so I shouldn't really need one, but I have a feeling I may be in for an uphill battle with the town on this topcic

Putting drains in front of the tanks usually makes it easier to drain and clean things. Having the proper slope's is the must too. If you need any help feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email
    Chris Klein
    Cell 541-510-1080
    Office (503) 769-6823
    WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
    chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

We moved into a building that was purpose-built as a racquetball court. We poured a concrete floor sloped on all four sides to the middle of the room where we sunk a trench drain. The trench drain is approximately fourty feet long. This room houses our brewhouse and cellar, one of the absolutely best investments we made. We were not required to install a grease trap since we don't deal with grease. I suggest you don't even mention a grease trap to your municipality. If they say you need one, put the responsibility on them to prove you need one, not just because you are a "commercial, food handling business".
      Luck to you.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks folks. I got in touch with the relevant local person at the Town, good news: no grease trap (no grease after all), no solids separator either. I will need to monitor pH of the effluent and keep it between pH 5 to 10.5, and they will net meter disposal volume based on brewhouse consumption less the volume of beer.

Comment

Working...
        X