Anyone using a NOBLE keg washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a NOBLE keg washer?

I'm looking at buying a new semi-auto keg washer. These (Noble) are made in the states and certainly the right price. Talked to the owner and he seems nice and knowledgeable.

Is anyone using one, that can comment on the quality or any other issues as far as mechanics or user-friendliness?

Thanks,
    Sean

We bought one last year and it has not worked since day one. They asked us to send back the box and we did and it still does not work. I have offered to pay to ship back the washer for them to fix and they have not returned my email (but to be fair its only been 1 day).... I will keep this updated to be fair to them if I get a response back and let you know.
    Luke Sevigney
    Theory Brewing Company
    Wells, Maine

Comment

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear...darn. But thanks for the response. We already have one on order though. I did get back two positive responses an zero negative responses from the client list on their website.

I think we may still take a chance on it. For $8000, vs. $17000 for a Premier, we could drop a grand into this if necessary and still come out way ahead. Only time will tell if they last for the long haul, but the owner and manufacturer of Noble says all the parts are easily sourceable through the regular channels.

I will try and keep this updated with our experiences as well.

Comment

I've had single-head Noble keg washer in use since last November and it's been working fine. I will say that they aren't the most communicative bunch once the sale is done, which can make a customer kind of nervous, but I trust they will be there if I ever need anything. So far, though, I have no complaints.

Cheers,
        --
        Don

Comment

I have never used/owned one personally but I know another local brewer in my area that has one. He speaks good things about and the only problem I've heard him give was that he had to send the control panel back to them for a repair.
          Last edited by BroadWay411; 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Noble Keg Washer

As stated they did get it right back to me as soon as they got it in. Very fair in that I paid to ship it back to them and they paid to ship it back to me once fixed. We will be doing a keg clean run next week and I can update everyone but I am not expecting any issues. I think what happened likely was that when we bought it new it got roughed up in shipping which led it it not working from the start. Yes... It did take some time to get a response but they were lightning quick to fix it when they got it back as they knew we were stuck hand washing!
            The one thing I would advise everyone would be to get the caustic tank heating option as it makes it sooooo much easier.
            Luke Sevigney
            Theory Brewing Company

Comment

Do NOT Buy A Noble Keg Washer

We purchased one in 2016 and it didn't work from the get-go. We emailed with Noble multiple times, but the problems were so numerous that we would literally have to have the keg washer rebuilt (and not by them as they built it wrong the first time). Here is what we determined after attempting to use it:

We finally got the keg washer up and "running" but have noticed quite a few issues and I wanted to share them and get your input on how to resolve these sooner than later.

Initial impressions of the keg washing system.

-Control box is in a cheap project enclosure that isn't even drip proof let alone washdown rated. This could be dangerous in a wet environment(like a brewery).
              -Missing a fitting to connect to water system.
              -Cheap motorized ball valves. I would have used RedHat solenoid valves.
              -Brand new system already has signs of rust.
              -Suction hoses aren't suitable and collapse while running, especially on the heated reservoir side.
              -No isolation valves to be able to run any less than 4 kegs at a time.
              -The instructions claim the cleaning action is done by surging wash solution, not sure how this is possible with a slow acting ball valve. See previous comment about RedHat valve, using these could allow a pulsing action that would really clean the system.
              -The process is missing a step to initially purge kegs that might have liquid leftover. This would require you to pre-drain every keg before using the keg washing system.
              -The reservoir drains are in the middle underneath the system which is pretty inconvenient.
              -And finally the wiring to the valves is really sloppy and shows a general lack of care. Typically manufacturers route wiring so that they're protected and neat looking, they didn't even cut the tails in the zip ties.

At a minimum, if we want to continue to use this system in any capacity we would need to upgrade the enclosure to a washdown rated box with sealed cords and change the suction hoses.

And if we want the system to work well we should change the motorized ball valve on the keg fills to solenoid valves to be able to rapid pulse solution into the kegs. Change the system programming to include an initial purge to clear the kegs. And install isolation valves so that the system can be run with less than. 4 kegs.

Comment

Also Junk

Sadly, I have to agree with Crooked City. I am kicking myself for buying this. We would have been better off buying a cheap overseas model than a Noble keg washer. Or better off, just cough up the extra money for a Premier or another well-made American model.
                So far we have had 2 control boxes go out AND two heating elements go out. The first panel wasn't working from the moment we got it. Then it failed again. We are on our third. I don't believe that the issues associated with the control panel breaking were actually from freight damage, because the unit got here just fine. No damage to the packaging. And if it can't take a little bit of knocking around in the back of a truck, how the heck is it going to withstand normal brewery treatment?
                The control panel sits UNDER the kegs and it isn't actually waterproof? Who builds shit like this?
                The guy that sells them seems nice when I talk to him, but I am just completely over dealing with this thing every week. I wish there had been more information on this unit on probrewer when I bought it. If so, I would have gotten something different.

Originally posted by CrookedCity View Post
                We purchased one in 2016 and it didn't work from the get-go. We emailed with Noble multiple times, but the problems were so numerous that we would literally have to have the keg washer rebuilt (and not by them as they built it wrong the first time). Here is what we determined after attempting to use it:

We finally got the keg washer up and "running" but have noticed quite a few issues and I wanted to share them and get your input on how to resolve these sooner than later.

-Control box is in a cheap project enclosure that isn't even drip proof let alone washdown rated. This could be dangerous in a wet environment(like a brewery).
                -Suction hoses aren't suitable and collapse while running, especially on the heated reservoir side.
                -The instructions claim the cleaning action is done by surging wash solution, not sure how this is possible with a slow acting ball valve. See previous comment about RedHat valve, using these could allow a pulsing action that would really clean the system.
                -The process is missing a step to initially purge kegs that might have liquid leftover. This would require you to pre-drain every keg before using the keg washing system.
                -The reservoir drains are in the middle underneath the system which is pretty inconvenient.
                -And finally the wiring to the valves is really sloppy and shows a general lack of care. Typically manufacturers route wiring so that they're protected and neat looking, they didn't even cut the tails in the zip ties.

At a minimum, if we want to continue to use this system in any capacity we would need to upgrade the enclosure to a washdown rated box with sealed cords and change the suction hoses.

And if we want the system to work well we should change the motorized ball valve on the keg fills to solenoid valves to be able to rapid pulse solution into the kegs. Change the system programming to include an initial purge to clear the kegs. And install isolation valves so that the system can be run with less than. 4 kegs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean W. View Post
                  Sadly, I have to agree with Crooked City. I am kicking myself for buying this. We would have been better off buying a cheap overseas model than a Noble keg washer. Or better off, just cough up the extra money for a Premier or another well-made American model.
                  So far we have had 2 control boxes go out AND two heating elements go out. The first panel wasn't working from the moment we got it. Then it failed again. We are on our third. I don't believe that the issues associated with the control panel breaking were actually from freight damage, because the unit got here just fine. No damage to the packaging. And if it can't take a little bit of knocking around in the back of a truck, how the heck is it going to withstand normal brewery treatment?
                  The control panel sits UNDER the kegs and it isn't actually waterproof? Who builds shit like this?
                  The guy that sells them seems nice when I talk to him, but I am just completely over dealing with this thing every week. I wish there had been more information on this unit on probrewer when I bought it. If so, I would have gotten something different.
                  I sent them a payment on January 5th and have not heard back with even a confirmation let alone an eta. No reply to phone or email messages, but my credit card was debited. This is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by karstbrewing View Post
                    I sent them a payment on January 5th and have not heard back with even a confirmation let alone an eta. No reply to phone or email messages, but my credit card was debited. This is unacceptable.
                    IMO, they need to just charge $1000-2000 extra for the keg washer, and hire someone to do customer service and orders, AND make sure their shit works right. There’s nothing wrong with the guts of the keg washer. It’s jist the control panel is cheap and easily breakable. Also they are undersizing the heating element so that it can be plugged into a standard 20amp single phase outlet. That’s kind of a rinky dink method. Any brewery worth their salt would soend extra, if necessary, run this off a larger electrical line, and get a properly sized heater.

Comment

Yes, but....

We just received a two headed keg washer 2 weeks ago. I am very satisfied with it, for the price. Since it costs about half of every single other quote we received. Sure a red hat would be nice, but then there is the price involved. Since they are probably the first point of failure, upgrade them when the time comes.

-control box is little more than a project box, I won't disagree there, but it should be sufficiently water proof having used these type of boxes myself.
                      -as far a purging of a dirty keg, the initial HW rinse should address this issue. We had an issue with some of our hoppier kegs but Scott said if I returned the box they could change the setting to what I choose.
                      -the wiring is a bit unprofessional looking but I don't fret over cosmetics usually.
                      I haven't used it enough to have an issue with the hoses so I can't address that.

I talked the brewery owner into buying this unit as I couldn't justified the 2X price of others, so yes it's rough but so is paying for a $14K keg washer. My biggest issue is with the lack of back-flo preventers to avoid accidentally depressurizing the cleaned kegs. Overall, the washer is OK, not great but Noble could certainly address their communication skills. I was ready to strangle Scott myself, he doesn't seem to understand how annoying the lack of communication is.

So unless you want to pay a lot more this is about the only cheap option and all I can say is that since it has arrived I have only had to clean a few kegs but the head brewer and his helper have been able to keep up with keg cleaning so I haven't had too. That in itself makes it worth it. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt because I tend to be cheap and am not impressed with touch screens and fancy options.

Originally posted by CrookedCity View Post

Comment

I hear ya.

I agree with all this in theory. We were totally on board to buy a cheaper keg washer and work through some issues to get it right. But it was just so many issues,
                        so many of the same things failing over and over...I mean, TWO control boxes? Well, we have a working control box now, and we replaced the second heater that broke. So if it all works now, then awesome. But if it continues to fail and shuts us down (or seriously slows keg washing) every time, is it worth it?
                        That's an open-ended question. I guess it depends on how lucky you get with the electrical components.

Originally posted by BlackH2O View Post
                        We just received a two headed keg washer 2 weeks ago. I am very satisfied with it, for the price. Since it costs about half of every single other quote we received. Sure a red hat would be nice, but then there is the price involved. Since they are probably the first point of failure, upgrade them when the time comes.

-control box is little more than a project box, I won't disagree there, but it should be sufficiently water proof having used these type of boxes myself.
                        -as far a purging of a dirty keg, the initial HW rinse should address this issue. We had an issue with some of our hoppier kegs but Scott said if I returned the box they could change the setting to what I choose.
                        -the wiring is a bit unprofessional looking but I don't fret over cosmetics usually.
                        I haven't used it enough to have an issue with the hoses so I can't address that.

I talked the brewery owner into buying this unit as I couldn't justified the 2X price of others, so yes it's rough but so is paying for a $14K keg washer. My biggest issue is with the lack of back-flo preventers to avoid accidentally depressurizing the cleaned kegs. Overall, the washer is OK, not great but Noble could certainly address their communication skills. I was ready to strangle Scott myself, he doesn't seem to understand how annoying the lack of communication is.

So unless you want to pay a lot more this is about the only cheap option and all I can say is that since it has arrived I have only had to clean a few kegs but the head brewer and his helper have been able to keep up with keg cleaning so I haven't had too. That in itself makes it worth it. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt because I tend to be cheap and am not impressed with touch screens and fancy options.

Comment

Any updates?

We are in the market now for a semi-auto washer - Have any of this thread's contributors got any more feedback post-servicing of their systems?
                          Thanks,
                          Myron

Comment

Originally posted by sunbum View Post
                            We are in the market now for a semi-auto washer - Have any of this thread's contributors got any more feedback post-servicing of their systems?
                            Thanks,
                            Myron
                            I bought one last January and it has been working well. I was originally concerned and frustrated about communication with the company, especially after reading some of the reviews. However, I did receive and it has worked well for my very small brewery. I have a 3 bbl brewery and sell everything onsite. I have 30 kegs and wash between 6 and 9 per week. I got the no-frills, single head, no heater system. Use PBW and Starsan, poor in buckets of hot water (no heat element option), use a hose for the rinse cycle, attach a 1.5 inch hose to waste outlet and run under floor drain grate. So far so good . . . knock on wood!

I bought it because it was the smallest and least expensive I could find . . . and I'm not clever enough to build one. It looks like it would be easy to reverse engineer if you're into that, but I'm not. For a very small nano-brewery, it's working well for me.

Eric

Comment

I have what was probably an earlier model, but I bought it used for about a grand. It worked, but had lots of drawbacks. A friend of mine built a new arduino controller allowing us to change every parimeter, and now it's working great!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X