Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WY1318 Harvesting and Dry Hopping

Hi All,

Im currently using 1318 as a house strain on a bunch of beers but am running into some troubles because of its nature as a top cropping yeast. I dont want to dry hop it cold but it really needs a good few days at crashed temps for me to harvest it out of the cone. So Id either need to dry hop it at end of fermentation and harvest (not ideal i know) or crash a few days, harvest, then dry hop cold. Anyone have any good recommendations for harvesting and dry hopping with this strain?

Or alternatively, are there any good options for top cropping in a 10bbl cylindroconical with just a small dry hop port at the top? Thanks!
    Jay
    Southern Swells Brewing
    Jacksonville Beach, FL

Originally posted by jsvarney5 View Post
    Hi All,

Im currently using 1318 as a house strain on a bunch of beers but am running into some troubles because of its nature as a top cropping yeast. I dont want to dry hop it cold but it really needs a good few days at crashed temps for me to harvest it out of the cone. So Id either need to dry hop it at end of fermentation and harvest (not ideal i know) or crash a few days, harvest, then dry hop cold. Anyone have any good recommendations for harvesting and dry hopping with this strain?

Or alternatively, are there any good options for top cropping in a 10bbl cylindroconical with just a small dry hop port at the top? Thanks!
    This seems odd, I get my London 3 from BSI, but it's always easy to bottom crop for me, I can even harvest after 5 days at ferment temps. It's one of the easiest strains I've ever dealt with actually.

Comment

I'm on board with Dan's response - we just moved through a pitch of 1318 for 6 generations and only discarded it due to seasonal beer changes. How cold are you crashing it prior to harvesting? We have had success with dropping the tank to 60°F overnight then pulling off our yeast in a slow harvest (approx. 1.5 hours per 1/2bbl brink). We have gotten great counts and viability with this method. After harvesting we will raise the temp setting back to the mid-60's and dry hop, allowing the beer to gain a few degrees as it sits on the hops.

For English-type yeasts we have had more success with a "dropping" of temperature vs. a cold crash. With a hard floc and a really dense cone of yeast I find that these strains tend to punch a hole in the cone as opposed to being able to harvest a nice slurry.

Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

I'm with the OP. I have had bad luck crashing and bottom cropping. We top crop from a 5 bbl.

Comment

Originally posted by BemidjiBrewing View Post
          I'm on board with Dan's response - we just moved through a pitch of 1318 for 6 generations and only discarded it due to seasonal beer changes. How cold are you crashing it prior to harvesting? We have had success with dropping the tank to 60°F overnight then pulling off our yeast in a slow harvest (approx. 1.5 hours per 1/2bbl brink). We have gotten great counts and viability with this method. After harvesting we will raise the temp setting back to the mid-60's and dry hop, allowing the beer to gain a few degrees as it sits on the hops.

For English-type yeasts we have had more success with a "dropping" of temperature vs. a cold crash. With a hard floc and a really dense cone of yeast I find that these strains tend to punch a hole in the cone as opposed to being able to harvest a nice slurry.

Cheers,
          Tom
          Was this also from BSI? We've gotten ours from both Imperial Organic and Wyeast and both, after hitting terminal and at free rise temps, harvest poorly to the tune of ~ 0.6-0.8 mil cells/ml. After soft crashing to 58F and harvesting the next morning, we sometimes get as high as 1.2-1.4 mil cells/ml but thats best case scenario and not consistent. If BSI's version harvests better, then I'm up for trying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by jsvarney5 View Post
            Hi All,

Hi Jay,

Wondering if you are still using 1318 and what you ended up deciding on as far as cropping method. I'm using the same yeast and I'm looking for a good method to harvest while also dry hopping during fermentation.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
            X