Yield into fermenter or brite tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yield into fermenter or brite tank

I've worked on a 50bbl brewhouse where the goal was to send 50bbl of wort into the fermenter.
    I've also worked on a 30bbl brewhouse where the goal was to put roughly 32bbl of wort into the fermenter thus yielding closer to 30bbl into the brite tank for packaging.
    Just curious what peoples mind set is behind this. Do you prefer to shoot for putting the target yield of the brewhouse into the fermenter or into the brite tank?
    Perhaps a silly question but I always appreciate your cumulative responses.

Thanks.

The more the better!

I have found that it is the most efficient use of time, resources and labor to try to maximize the most yield into the fermenters. There are so many points of the brewing process that create loss (dry hopping, transfer, filtering, packaging etc.). Even going slightly above the brew house size usually nets less than the brew house size when it's all said and done. I've seen a 7bbl brew house net about 5.8-6.5 bbls of sellable product because of the above mentioned points of product loss.
    Last edited by Catfish002; 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The more the better!

I have to agree with Catfish002, at all the breweries I have worked at as the Head Brewer I adjusted kettle volumes to yield the most finished product. Remember don't overfill tanks, you need that headspace!
      7BBL Brew House, 8 to 8.5 BBL depending on beer for 7BBL of finished product
      15BBL Brew House, 17 to 18.25 BBL depending on beer for 7BBL of finished product
      10BBL Brew House, 11 to 12.25 BBLx3 depending on beer for 30BBL of finished product had a filter here
      7BBL Brew House, 8 to 8.25 BBL depending on beer for 7BBL of finished product

All the places I have worked I try to adjust the volume to match the same volumes no matter what. This also helps with doing taxes and paperwork. It does takes a couple of batches to dial in but worth the time.

Mike George
      Director of Brewery Operations
      Blue Spruce Brewery
      Mike George
      Director of Brewery Operations
      Cell 720-982-4303
      mgeorge@bluesprucebrewing.com

Comment

Working...
      X