Rousing Dry Hops in Conical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rousing Dry Hops in Conical

Been experimenting with different dryhop techniques and wanted to run this by people to make sure what I am doing wont damage the beer... I am doing an extremely large (at least i think its large) dryhop on 100 gallons of beer in our conical. On the first day i added 3lbs of Galaxy. 2 days later I added 2lbs of Apollo. After adding them I pushed CO2 through the bottom of the conical in the hopes of "rousing" the compacted galaxy hops and giving them better contact with the beer. I am planning on doing the same thing in 2 days with 2lbs of Comet and wanted to "rouse" the hops again.
    Am I doing any damage or purging the previous galaxy aromatics when I do this? Is there something I am not considering?

Rousing is pretty typical and can be an effective way to boost hop contact with the beer - just make sure your CO2 line is full of gas prior to opening your valve to the fermenter, hate to shoot a line full of air in the fermenter first. Short bursts (especially on the 3bbl scale) should work well to put the hops back in suspension.

Comment

Have you racked off the yeast/blown it out? If you're in a conical with the yeast still in, and are using the very bottom port, you're rousing the yeast and cold break back into the beer, and that is no bueno. If the yeast is out, you're fine.

Comment

Yeast was dumped prior in 2 separate dumps so that wont be an issue. I was more concerned with the co2 bubbling that some of the aromatics could be scrubbed out which would defeat the purpose. Should I have my blow off tube closed when I do this? On our 3rd addition now and so far it smells (and tastes) amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke7e View Post
          Yeast was dumped prior in 2 separate dumps so that wont be an issue. I was more concerned with the co2 bubbling that some of the aromatics could be scrubbed out which would defeat the purpose. Should I have my blow off tube closed when I do this? On our 3rd addition now and so far it smells (and tastes) amazing...
          Yep, leave the blow off arm closed. You'll burst some aromatics out but it will be negligible.

Comment

Working...
          X