No announcement yet.

Salt addition SOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all due respect, it's sort of pointless to add pH lowering salts like gypsum and calcium chloride AND pH raising salts like chalk and Baking Soda. Especially chalk. The pH effects will cancel each other to an extent and you may end up with precipitated chalk in the bottom of your kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajchocholousek View Post
      With all due respect, it's sort of pointless to add pH lowering salts like gypsum and calcium chloride AND pH raising salts like chalk and Baking Soda. Especially chalk. The pH effects will cancel each other to an extent and you may end up with precipitated chalk in the bottom of your kettle.
      Depends on the water profile. IN my case, for my stouts/porters, I add calcium sulfate/chloride AND baking soda. The calcium is mainly because I have so little in my soft water (7ppm) and my understanding is that yeast wants 40ppm or more. I do not use chalk though.
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

I haven't had much luck adding brewing salts to lower pH in mash. If i want lower mash pH I'll use lactic acid or acidulated malt.
        I add brewing salts to the kettle if I want to match a particular style. I have fairly soft water, so it opens up the possibilities.

Comment

Working...
        X