Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A long list of Questions -

Hey! Hello!

My name as you could guess is Phil, I've been around beer all my life. Grew up in a real ale driven freehouse. Brewed when I was a student in a fairly (crappy) brewpub, in the UK. I have worked, lived, breathed beer, Catering, Restaurants, Kitchens, Design... the whole shooting match.

So much so, I have embarked on the wonderfully stupid idea that I'll open a brewpub....

WHY OH WHY OH WHY? I hear you shout. Coz, I don't know much else.

So silly question time.

1. Nitrogenated stouts - packaging and dispense - I asume that there is no special treatment of the brew, to make it servable via a nitrogen sys. (30/70)?

2. UK legislation - do the tap/faucets have to be the 'standard' 2 or 3 part assembly? If I where to use one peice stainless heads, US style, would that contravene UK law? I have seen one peice heads, on occasions.

3. For those who work/brew in a brew pub.. are there any golden rules. Like no cleaning the fermenters during service hours - CO2 Issues. Hot caustic control issues. What about actually brewing when people are using the restaurant?

4. HACCP - COSHH stuff - Any special requirements for the brewery access.

5. What are the likely questions from the neighbours/local authorities - regarding the advent of the brewery/plans for the brewery. Smells, odours, chemical waste, BOD, effluent?

More questions to come - Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Oh, I hate looking for locations - I've done it once before - and I hate it - no one building is perfect... anyone else realise this?
    Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

and...

5 ltr kegs, mini cask, or whatever they are called.... has anyone got a link to the suppliers, or manufacturers. All I've found are the cypher pump a drink types.

Growlers in the UK? Silly idea? I'm still searching for a supplier?
    Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

Hi Phil,
      The 5L minikegs are called HIT Party kegs and are made by a company called Hueber in Germany. Terry Swann is thier agent in the UK, his firm is called European Malt Company Limited.
      Nitrogenated Stouts need to be seved through a special tap with a restricter disc in. There been a few good discussions on nitrogenating methods on this site before if you do a search.
      Good luck!

Slainte,

Dave

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Twonk!

That's one question off the list.

Re- Searches. Yeah, I know. Sheer lazyness really. MUST TRY HARDER!

Thanks for the PM's.

Comment

Working...
        X