Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper poisoning from contact with drinks below 6 pH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper poisoning from contact with drinks below 6 pH?

Read the latest lifestyle news from The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead on faith, family, home and garden, pets, travel, personal finance, religion and more for the Fargo area and throughout North Dakota and Minnesota.

I've been seeing this article lately about the dangers of Moscow mules. It got me thinking... there's lots of breweries and even home brewers using copper heat exchangers and kettles. Lots of beers are around 5 ph when boiling, kettle sours less than 3.6 pH usually. Not to mention the acid and caustic cleaning cycles that would possible corrode off some free copper. For those with some knowledge in metals, Is this something to be concerned with?

From what has been passed down to me, hot side copper is okay cold side not so much. I would imagine that caustics would be problematic

Comment

Copper leaching into a drink that's in contact with it for a few minutes is minimal. I would think that if you drank enough Moscow Mules to get copper poisoning, your liver would have given out from all the vodka first. Seems like much ado about nothing. Same goes for the brewhouse.

Comment

Working...
      X