Mash Hopping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash Hopping?

Curious if anyone has done any mash hopping? I was reading that article that Jamie from Dell brewing wrote (http://www.probrewer.com/library/stu...se-operations/) and was wondering what kind of results occured if you have tried it. I'm thinking my next test batch it's gonna happen! How did you go about it? Can you calculate the bitterness? Any thoughts on the process?

Thank you
    Orianne

I don't believe that mash hopping should introduce any bitterness directly, as mash temperatures would peak @ 159 F; the bottom of the isomerization utilization curves are around 175 F. However, the alpha acids are left in solution through mash, and as you lauter, they are added to the kettle with your wort. This would eventually result in added bitterness and IBUs, as you begin to exceed 175 F and isomerize the alpha acids.

I don't prefer to mash hop because if you start heating the kettle before lauter is finished, which is common, you begin to isomerize the alpha acids, adding even more bitterness before boil even starts. FWH is the earliest hopping that I do, because for a 60 minute boil, you get peak utilization as it is. Mash hopping seems pointless to me besides being able to say that you did it. Just my opinion.
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Comment

From my Brewpub experience - i.e. not speaking about huge volume batches or with a whole lot in the way of a brewing chemistry background, more of an artisan one - I think it does add to beer in certain applications.

If you're looking to calculate bitterness, any recipe program can do that for you. The AA pickup is less than FWH, which is less than at the beginning of the boil. If you are just doing it for bitterness, skip it.

I think, however, that it does add to the hop profile. Some air of depth, or complexion, or sophistication - je na sais quoi. Not to every beer, but to the right ones. I don't think it'll do anything for your IPA. That is so much of a hop bomb the mash hopping will disappear, even more so in the case of a DIPA - though specifically in the case of the DIPA, it might be something to consider in order to cut down on the hops in the brew kettle itself. The mash will filter them out, and you'll still get IBUs from them and give your whirlpool a break.

I do mash hoping only in a couple of specific applications: milder Pale Ales that are very hop-forward and/or hop-complex; Schwarzbiers, which need bitterness to make up for the dehusked dark malt, and should retain maximum hop flavor without having a lot of hop in the nose; Saisons that I put down to age, because the pickup of the hop oils in the mash does seem to add to the longevity of the hop flavor.

That's just my experience and 2cents.

Cheers, and good luck in your experimenting.

Comment

Working...
      X