Hop oil (non isomerized CO2 extract)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop oil (non isomerized CO2 extract)

Hi, does someone has experience with hop oil / non isomerized hop extract, in the form of 'dry-hopping' and wants to share that information?

I was thinking of giving a dry-hopped beer an extra kick just before bottling.

Hey Wilbert,

Try using some distilled hop oils.

I know glacier hop farms has them and they are intended for what you are looking for.

asmythe (at) atgbrewery (dot) com

If you want contact info etc, just email me.

Comment

Thanks Austin,

Do you have experience with these products yourself?
      Simply hops in the UK also sell distilled hop oil, it is probably similar to that of Glacier.

I'm looking for some feedback from people who have these oils.

Comment

Yes, I've used these oils a couple of times.

In my experience, I wouldn't use them on their own, but they do give an extra boost to the hop aroma/character.

But, that's all dependent on process, the beer itself, etc etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AustinAtG View Post
          In my experience, I wouldn't use them on their own, but they do give an extra boost to the hop aroma/character.
          May I ask why you wouldn't use them on their own? Is it lacking or does it have too much of something?

Comment

My opinion of using them was (I haven't used them for years) that they were for want of a better term, rather one dimensional. Sure, they gave a hop character, which could be quite pleasant and as pronounced as you wanted, but presumably because of the way they are produced the hop oil fraction is of a very narrow range of chemical structures / solubility / evaporation - and so is not balanced in the same way that you get a blend of different oils / isomers if using whole fresh hops - to the point where some considered the aroma a bit artificial.

Having said all that, they do allow you to produce extremely consistent hop aromas, and presumably if you used a blend of different oils, you would be less likely to have those sorts of comments made.

The other problem was getting the stuff to disperse evenly throughout a batch of beer. Because I was working in large breweries when this was used, we used to dose in on transfer to say conditioning tank, but then the perception was that we stripped out more on a KG filter than if whole fresh hops were used in far larger amounts in the kettle / whirlpool instead. And the dosing kit was hard to keep physically clean - it definitely gummed up the works if not cleaned promptly and properly.

Oh yes, finally, a friend of mine who worked in the Middle East many years ago used to dose up their homebrew with it - made the base non alcoholic beer far more drinkable apparently. I don't think he ever got stopped, but he used to label it as male perfume / au de cologne before he went out there - in case of customs inspection!
            dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
              ......that they were for want of a better term, rather one dimensional.
              .... if you used a blend of different oils, you would be less likely to have those sorts of comments made.

The other problem was getting the stuff to disperse evenly throughout a batch of beer...it definitely gummed up the works if not cleaned promptly and properly.

Oh yes, finally, a friend of mine who worked in the Middle East many years ago used to dose up their homebrew with it - made the base non alcoholic beer far more drinkable apparently. I don't think he ever got stopped, but he used to label it as male perfume / au de cologne before he went out there - in case of customs inspection!

Thanks for your comment Dick,

One dimensional. So adding it to an already dry-hopped beer to give it an extra 'nose' seems the way to go with this, I think.
              They also sell mixtures, describing it as Citrussy,Floral, Herbal, Rose and spicy. I guess it is for that reason.

I will keep your comment about the stickiness in mind. And now you say 'male perfume'....I will put some behind my ears when I get ready for a festival, I bet the smell will attract some extra costumers!

Comment

Working...
              X