Sight Glass For A Grundy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sight Glass For A Grundy

So the sight glass on our Grundy decided to fail spectacularly. My lovely pilsner that had been layering for two months and that I was in the final process of gassing up is a foamy mess all over the cold store.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a supplier for replacement glass?

Grundy Site Tube Replacement

[QUOTE=Hirsty;213088]So the sight glass on our Grundy decided to fail spectacularly. My lovely pilsner that had been layering for two months and that I was in the final process of gassing up is a foamy mess all over the cold store.

So sorry to hear about the pils! Hopefully there is 1/2 bbl or so left below the site glass you can rack off and carbonate. More than likely your site glass was not original to the Grundy (most had 2 top viewing ports and internal volume markings), so some photos of the top and bottom site glass fittings would really help. You may want to consider replacing the glass site tube with food grade 3/8" ID clear tubing connected top and bottom with s/s hose barb. Should be able to find a barb by thread fitting to replace the compression nuts from site glass. Much less likely to fail, easily replaced and less expensive. If you can send photo, I can probably give you some direction on where to look for replacement glass tube though.
    Cheers !

Comment

[QUOTE=4GGGBREWING;213139]
      Originally posted by Hirsty View Post
      So the sight glass on our Grundy decided to fail spectacularly. My lovely pilsner that had been layering for two months and that I was in the final process of gassing up is a foamy mess all over the cold store.

So sorry to hear about the pils! Hopefully there is 1/2 bbl or so left below the site glass you can rack off and carbonate. More than likely your site glass was not original to the Grundy (most had 2 top viewing ports and internal volume markings), so some photos of the top and bottom site glass fittings would really help. You may want to consider replacing the glass site tube with food grade 3/8" ID clear tubing connected top and bottom with s/s hose barb. Should be able to find a barb by thread fitting to replace the compression nuts from site glass. Much less likely to fail, easily replaced and less expensive. If you can send photo, I can probably give you some direction on where to look for replacement glass tube though.
      Cheers !
      Thanks 4GGGBrewing. It was actually a viewing window sight glass 4" x 1/4", so a flat disc of glass. Unfortunately, as it was been carb'd up at the time, all of the beer exited out of the now-empty porthole. The tiny amount left may have glass particles in it so has been dumped.

Comment

Visit our on-line shop for a wide range of current stocks of used spares, accessories and commercial brewing equipment, gaskets, seals, taps, valves etc.

I just picked up some parts from these guys. I have a franken-grundy BT that still has the glass on top. They are in the UK, but shipping was reasonable. I'd be all ears for a US supplier.

Comment

Thanks. I have had a stainless steel disc cut and put into place. I may go back in the future and swap it out for glass but it seems to be doing the job at the moment.

Comment

Sight glass for Grundy

Originally posted by Hirsty View Post
            Thanks. I have had a stainless steel disc cut and put into place. I may go back in the future and swap it out for glass but it seems to be doing the job at the moment.
            Mcmaster-Carr has borosiloicate sight glasses

Comment

Working...
            X