HeatEx for IPA's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HeatEx for IPA's?

Anyone know of a heat exchanger that will allow big particles to go through (i.e.: hops). I'm going to jump into the boil kettle if i get a clogged heat exchanger one more fucken time!!!

#suicidal

Originally posted by Alphaacid View Post
    Anyone know of a heat exchanger that will allow big particles to go through (i.e.: hops). I'm going to jump into the boil kettle if i get a clogged heat exchanger one more fucken time!!!

#suicidal
    I know exactly how you feel. I went through that for over a year and it drove me up a wall. I put some additional procedures in place and really haven't had a single problem since. I'd say our hoppy beers max out at #4/bbl ( 2 bittering and 2 wp)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

I whirlpool with a paddle for 10mins, let it sit for 25 mins, and the fucken piece of shit still gets clogged. I'm going to jump into the boiling wort and live stream it on Facebook

Comment

We whirlpool with a tube in tube hx which allows particles to pass trough, then we rest and push trough a plate hx in to the FV this allows us to keep particles out of the plate hx. also we have a rotating racking arm on our kettle which allows us to keep it high until we ned to lower it into the debris.

Comment

You don't say anything about your kettle design, but I am assuming it is not a domed bottom with an outlet halfway up the dome.

Some flat bottom kettles will have a hop dam welded in to hold back the hop cone from breaking into the HX. This usually works pretty well.

I would sometimes dump the hop trub (during WP) from the kettle on heavy hopped beers prior to knockout to avoid this issue (domed bottom). On the flat bottom I would dump a small amount of wort prior to KO to flush the area around the outlet free of hops. I would also slow down my KO towards the bottom of the kettle to prevent the cone from braking up and sending hops to the HX. Have never had any issues with a regular plate and frame HX doing it that way. I have had to dump about 1/4bbl or so sometimes if the cone brakes up too much, but that's not too bad IMHO.

Comment

Working...
          X