Transfer Distance (FV to BBT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Distance (FV to BBT)

We are planning on having 4-7 BBL serving tanks in our cold room. We are trying to configure the brewery production area (FV) as close as we can to the cold room to make transfers easier. How far have you seen BBT tanks from the FVs? And how have you seen it being transfered over this distance?
    Dustin Baker

Owner/Brewer
    Roadmap Brewing Co.
    San Antonio, TX

Longest I had was about 25' and we ran a diaphragm pump to move the beer. I was involved in a long thread on here about moving beer pump vs CO2 pressure. I use CO2 pressure with very good results but admittedly it does waste CO2, IMHO if you use a pump make sure its a variable speed pump full speed pumps can really beat that beer around. Moving it slow with a thick blanket of CO2 in the BBT keeps that to a minimum
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

I have six 7bbl Brites in our cooler adjacent to our brewery. The farthest FV to the farthest BT is ~40' I use a VFD pump and have no problems. Just need the hoses. Ideally I'd like to run some hard piping in the cooler to make it all a bit easier. Someday.
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

A bit extreme, but I have worked in major breweries moving beer perhaps a quarter of a mile - so any distance is possible, but you just have to have the right setup. for the size you have - one inch pipe - preflush with water, preferably deaerated, if deaerated no benefit to blowing out first. Flow rate 3000 litres / hr for water and beer at perhaps 2500 litres / hr to minimise dilution interface. Flush out at 3000 litres / hour. So you need Tee pieces and sight glasses at each end for this to be able to see the interfaces and switch between drain and tank.
        dick

Comment

We would lost 500 barrels transferring from the brewery over to the draft center

Comment

Working...
          X