Requesting heavy duty mash circulation pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting heavy duty mash circulation pump

In the quest to build an experimental brewhouse using a novel approach to brewing I am on the search for a heavy duty pump. The pump will be passing mash through it at a high flow and pressure. To reach maximum efficiency I am looking for a pump that can reach 8 bar and 350 GPM. This has been a tall order to find such a powerful, sanitary pump. Accepting a less capable pump at a better price point is becoming appealing. To still achieve the intended effect the pump must operate at least 4 bar and 200 GPM. Are any of you familiar with any such brands or options that would fit the higher end or acceptable specs?

Specs requested:
    -Food safe, high viscous circulation capable
    -High pressure capable, 8 bar/125PSI
    -High flow rate, 350+ GPM capable
    -Pump and motor under 40k!

Thanks for reading.

Edit to add:
    I don't know if it's bad etiquette to post distributors prices. I have received pricing for Ampco's CB+ line between the 6-10k range for the 218 & 328 with impeller and motors. Writing to add this is the best pricing I have seen for a capable pump.
    Last edited by AlexR; 10-04-2017, 03:51 PM.

You should probably add one more criteria: low shear.

Progressive cavity pumps can go to 24 bar and around 700 GPM like this one:

Discover PCM ECOMOINEAU™ MX, the first progressive cavity pump equipped with a maintenance in place system as standard. Explore on line its compact, robust design today. Get in touch with us to find out more.

They're common in the wine industry, though I've never seen one quite that big. They're not rated in GPM, it's usually tons per hour or something like that, because they use it for must. But they're actually pretty gentle on the liquid being pumped.

Here's an example of a fairly good sized one. I'm sure you can find the actual pump specs on it:

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Thanks Mike for the information on must pumps. I originally did a quick spec out of some commercial Enoitalia pumps due to their availability at local wine supply store but gave up on that idea as their PSI was far too low. I should have kept researching that angle instead of making assumptions about all the must pumps. Thanks again!

Comment

We just recently sourced a Jabsco flexible impeller pump from BPH Pump and Equipment for pumping our mash. They helped size it for our system so it might be worth giving them a call. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment on how well it works, but it's something worth looking into. Are you in Bucks County, PA?

Comment

You're going to need some kind of PD pump, rotary lobe, progressive cavity, or the likes. Centrifugal, flexible impeller, and diaphragm likely won't be able to hit those pressures, flows and be low shear.

Comment

A twin screw pump

I think a twin screw pump is probably the best way to go to the the flow and pressure you need.

Your CPE Systems Team!
            CPE Systems Inc.
            800-668-2268
            CPEsystems.com
            Thinkpumps.com
            sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Working...
            X