Keg Conditioning with honey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Conditioning with honey

Hi All! I am trying some experiments with keg conditioning with honey. I know the issues related with this, but wanted to post on here for any insight.

It's easy to find out how much priming sugar to add to five gallons, and other common priming sugars but I would like to know the following...

How much Plato/liquid ratio is needed for priming? The answer I'm trying to find is....

For a 5 gallon batch of beer you will add 100 milliliters of 8 Plato liquid...

Is there any charts or info regarding this? I know the sugar content in honey varies greatly so I want to dilute properly and add close to the actual amount needed to carbonate ( 2.5 volumes).

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

I recently used some fairly runny honey. It worked out at 320 litres degrees / kg extract - in other words, not a lot more than most white malts (circa 305 litre degrees / kg). I know you asked for plato figures - but hopefully this gives you an idea. How fermentable is it? I think it is almost 100 %, mainly glucose and fructose with some sucrose but if anyone else has any better figures on fermentability, I'll be interested to hear as well. I would assume 95%.

Google spat out the following info - Unsurprisingly, these comprise the major portion of honey - about 82%. The carbohydrates present are the monosaccharides fructose (38.2%) and glucose (31%); and disaccharides (~9%) sucrose, maltose, isomaltose, maltulose, turanose and kojibiose.
    dick

Comment

Calculation

To add the honey you will have to dilute it to achieve a target degree Plato and then if given the following information I can calculate the amount of honey to add as priming to carbonate the beer:

1. Original gravity of the honey
      2. Final gravity of the beer
      3. Beer Volume to carbonate
      4. Target CO2
      5. Carbonation level in the beer to carbonate

Since you will not be using the same wort to carbonate, a rapid or fast fermentation has to be done on the honey to determine the final gravity and the degree of fermentation to obtain a better result.

Cheers,

Comment

Here's a good place to start

You've made it to bottling day. Congrats! Use this simple calculator to add the correct quantity of sugar to perfectly carbonate your beer.

It has many different types of sugar listed and makes assumptions about current dissolved CO2 levels in your beer (via temperature) and the fermentability of each sugar. Obviously, not all honey will ferment to the same degree but, we find orange blossom regardless of source to be consistent with the Northern Brewers calculation.

Comment

Previous Same Topic Discussion 2012

Comment

Thanks All!

That calculator should help. I actually used 1 oz of honey but it looks like I should use closer to 5. I think I'll add 3 more oz's and see where that gets me.
            Thanks guys! I don't think I will do this in the future, but it should be a fun experiment.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X