carbonating with Nitro in uni tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbonating with Nitro in uni tank

This is new to me and I have been asked if we can carbonate using nitro in a unitank. I figure the stone would not change but from what I read Nitro typically runs around 30psi. Is there anyone doing this and do you need a special tank or modification to a tank to have them handle the pressure? This setup requires the beverage to be carbonated prior to kegging.

Originally posted by ChuckD View Post
    This is new to me and I have been asked if we can carbonate using nitro in a unitank. I figure the stone would not change but from what I read Nitro typically runs around 30psi. Is there anyone doing this and do you need a special tank or modification to a tank to have them handle the pressure? This setup requires the beverage to be carbonated prior to kegging.
    Yes you need a properly rated tank, as most tanks are rated for one bar working pressure. You need a tank rated for 2 bar to hold the appropriate pressures. You can then lightly carb the beer with co2 (desired volumes) and pressurize with nitrogen, or you can use a gas blending station to do a 75/25 blend of nitrogen to co2 and "carbonate" your beer through that method. You can also buy "mixed gas" tanks but it usually overpriced IMHO, unless you are doing a very small volume. It is best if you have a way to measure the dissolved co2 content to get exactly what you want out of it. You will also need a specific tap to pour from of course.

Unfortunately I do not remember the details of the equipment, but Rodney Taylor at the Walnut Brewery in Boulder had a system where you simply used flat kegs of beer that were nitrogenated as you served them. It worked awesome as I did a collaboration brew with him once, and ours used a light co2 carb and topped with nitro pressure. His beat our hands down, and was much easier to operate on a larger scale.

Unfortunately the Walnut was bought out by another "Boulder Beer" and closed this year, so Rodney may have moved on and perhaps equipment has changed. You could try reaching out to them for more info though.

If you find out what that equipment was, let me know as I really liked the setup when I saw it, and the beers were absolutely pour-fect.

Comment

If the product isn't going out to market and staying in your tasting room. Just carb with co2 at 1.2% then use a cylinder of mixed gas blend of nitro and co2 and serve at around 30 psi and flow through your nitro faucet.
      Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by DOGMA46AN2 View Post
        If the product isn't going out to market and staying in your tasting room. Just carb with co2 at 1.2% then use a cylinder of mixed gas blend of nitro and co2 and serve at around 30 psi and flow through your nitro faucet.
        This is what I do as well but I haven't figured out a way to measure 1.2 volumes as that's out of the range of Zahm charts. I will normally carb slowly, partially fill a sixtel and put it on tap to check working up to the desired effect. I guess I could extrapolate the data beyond the chart's range but I don't know how accurate this would be, especially down in the temp range we normally carb at. One more reason to put the Anton Paar in the budget I guess.

Comment

NitroBrew has these Inline Infusion Modules that make it a lot easier to serve nitro beers. Keg the beer you want on nitro before force carbonation and simply connect the system inline with your tap. More information here; https://nitrobrew.com/product/nitrob...fusion-module/
          Mechanical Engineer, QuantiPerm
          www.quantiperm.com

Comment

Working...
          X