Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of extracts, powders, aroma oils etc. for dryhopping

Hey everyone

So I am trying to get a feel for how widespread the use of hop extract is in commercial craft brewing.

There are quite a lot of products on the market now, such as pure (distilled) hop aroma oils, concentrated iso-alpha acids, concentrated lululin and so on, but I haven't been able to find out how many actually use it.
    I know for a fact that guys like Mikkeller use hop extracts for some of the bittering, but I don't know about "dry"-hopping.

So, do any of you guys use hop extracts for aroma as well as bittering, or just bittering or just aroma? If yes, what products do you use?

I find that for many of the NEIPA's, you need so many hops in the dryhop, that you end up losing a lot of beer to the hops, in terms of absorption, so an alternative would be very nice.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Chris-DK View Post
    Hey everyone

So I am trying to get a feel for how widespread the use of hop extract is in commercial craft brewing.

There are quite a lot of products on the market now, such as pure (distilled) hop aroma oils, concentrated iso-alpha acids, concentrated lululin and so on, but I haven't been able to find out how many actually use it.
    I know for a fact that guys like Mikkeller use hop extracts for some of the bittering, but I don't know about "dry"-hopping.

So, do any of you guys use hop extracts for aroma as well as bittering, or just bittering or just aroma? If yes, what products do you use?

I find that for many of the NEIPA's, you need so many hops in the dryhop, that you end up losing a lot of beer to the hops, in terms of absorption, so an alternative would be very nice.

Thanks!

Hi Chris....I see no responses to your question. I have the same questions in mind for our house NEIPA. I hope people way-in....

Comment

I can lend a few tips, though for most breweries, the way they use hops is going to be guarded as it may be how they set themselves apart from the others.

For CO2 Extracts: Very useful in the boil, some have done experiments using in the FV and have had mixed results. I have not done this myself, though I am going to try on a small scale sometime.

Tetrahop/pre-isomerized kettle extracts: Pretty common in larger breweries that utilize high gravity brewing techniques. The high gravity methods with liquor backing tend to ruin head retention, tetrahop is very foam positive. So there are some benefits there, plus you know your IBU exactly.

Hop hash/cryo hops: you're going to need to experiment with these, plenty of data from the manufacturer. But they will work in any place during beer making. We all have our preferences as to where to use them.

Distilled hop extracts: I have not used these, they are potent, and tend to be one dimensional as far as they have the oils, but there are other flavors that come out of using hops.

To answer your question directly, yes, all of the products are in wide use among different sized breweries. Some are better for larger ones, some for smaller ones.

Comment

Working...
      X