Thread: Draft Line Regimen - Stubborn Spiced Ale Lines

Draft Line Regimen - Stubborn Spiced Ale Lines

Hello
    Spiced ale season around these parts with our pumpkin and winter warmer style beers. We cleaned one line which had a spice pumpkin ale beer on it for a few weeks. Caustic, rinse, PAA. Tapped a lager after and could tell there was still a little "spice" coming through. Eventually ended up soaking line overnight and re-washing which helped out.

What does everyone do to help clean these stubborn lines?
    Soaking best?
    Higher concentrations? Longer contact time?
    Supposedly I heard PAA should even neutralize strong root beer flavors/aromas?

Any suggestions?

I've had good results adding a third step (Five Star Sani-Clean) to the line cleaning process. Sani-Clean is pretty good at removing flavors & aromas (even root beer) but you need to do a deep cleaning first.

Years ago I was advised to do caustic...rinse...acid...rinse...saniclean but now I believe that acid before caustic is the recommendation.

For a long time I didn't have a a recirculating line cleaning pump. I'd make up a keg of each chemical, and then tap about a half gallon through each line, let it soak 5 minutes, tap another half gallon, and repeat... until each line got a total of about 15-20 minutes per chemical. Finally, I would pause just before running out of SaniClean and leave the lines packed overnight.

I once recommended this to someone who bought a bar... where the previous owner had turned off the draft cooler & power pack and left warm stagnant beer sitting in the lines for months! It was disgusting. A local draft beer service company (who are pretty good guys) tried and failed to clean it, then quoted him something like $20,000 to replace the (buried) trunk line. As a last-ditch effort the bar owner tried the three-step cleaning (Five Star Liquid Line Cleaner, Acid Line Cleaner, SaniClean) and afterwards the lines were fine.
    Last edited by Yellowbeard; 10-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.

BA Draught Line Manual

Last I checked the BA draught line manual says stubborn lines should get a "deep" clean of 3% caustic between 90-120F for minimum 15 minutes. Stronger flavored lines may require a longer recirculation of 20-25 minutes. If you do not have a recirculating pump I would advise something like a 30-45 minute soak. You may also be able to prevent the "build-up" of these flavors with a more rigorous cleaning schedule. I work at a brewery that makes ALOT of fruited beers. We follow BA guidelines and clean are lines/couplers/faucets/fobs every 2 weeks and have no issues with flavors staying in the line. Best of luck!

-Kevin W.

Spiced beers just like root beer permeate the plastic and the flavor embeds itself in the plastic. Generally strong oxidizer are the only way to remove or improve such lines. I would run a food caustic and acid cleaner first (make sure you have sufficient flow velocity- calculate the Reynolds number for your system, you want to be above 4000) and then soak the line in a 1500 ppm solution of Peracetic Acid for an hour or longer, if needed.

We also offer new products with a build-in oxidizer into the caustic. Those may work as well.

Dirk Loeffler
    Loeffler Chemical Corporation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Loeffler Chemical Corporation
    (404) 629-0999
    800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
    www.loefflerchemical.com