Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast mix up - what to expect ?

I’m brewing a Hefeweizen today

Go to get the wb-06 yeast out and I don’t have any.......

Work backwards - oh dear, that 20bbls of American pale ale got 500g of us-05 and 500g of wb-06 instead of 1kg of us-05 !!!

I think the Hefe can just become an American Wheat beer?.... (50% wheat / 50% pils malt)

But what can I expect from the pale ?!! Fermented at 18c so a slightly clovey version of my usual pale ??

The pale is fermenting well so hopefully I get a drinkable beer out of it !!!

Appreciate any thoughts / comments !

I had something like this happen a couple years ago. Late in the brew day pulled out my WB-06 from the cooler only to find my supplier had sent me US-05 and I had not noticed. Hello American Wheat. As for your Pale with the hybrid, my understanding is that with two strains pitched simultaneously you stand a good chance of one dominating the other in flavor profile. Better hope it is US-05, but my guess is that the WB-06 will instead. Super fast starter.
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Comment

Thanks Dave

Fingers crossed on the pale....
      I’ve had both US05 and WB06 take off really quickly so let’s hope the 05 wins !
      If not I could have an interesting batch of pale ale......

Comment

dryhop it!

I've had a fairly clean hefe before that was dry hopped with Amarillo. Quite good, surprisingly!

Comment

Have done the exact same thing. WB06 definitely dominated over the 05. That was with a raspberry blonde, and I ended up liking the esters, so now always brew that beer with hef yeast

Comment

Sounds almost like the Bavarian Wheat blend that wyeast makes. give it plenty of O2 to lower your phenols and esters and hope for the best. With the wyeast, after 3 generations there were no more phenols or esters to speak of. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks all

On the Pale - Given the malt bill and hops added to date I've reached the conclusion this isn't going to turn out well (i.e. as a beer I want to put into the market here) so I've decided to dump the batch

A tough lesson but i'll be sure to double check what yeast I am pitching going forward !!!

On the (now) American Wheat - hoping for a great beer !!

Thanks for all the comments

Cheers
              David

Comment

Working...
              X