No announcement yet.

Top Cropping Processes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again to Dick who gave me the brilliant idea. I found and purchased a master flex B/T on eBay for my top cropping, its the biggest peri pump that Cole palmer makes to my knowledge. I also have it on a scissor table so I can lift it up to the same height as my brink. The pump takes 3/4 thick walled silicone tubing which I found on McMaster Carr for 1/4 of the price of Cole palmer tubing. I also bought a 30" polished stainless tube to attach to the silicone for the "wand." this setup can pump over 1kg per minute at the setting I usually have it at, (it still has a lot of room to speed up I just want to be gentle on my hose). So I can harvest enough yeast for a 20 bbl batch in about 15 min. This setup can also harvest out of any tank configuration, Ive used it for a side manway with a 4" hop port and it works great. In my video I harvested when the yeast was still blowing off so thats why theres some yeast that fell over the edge when I opened the tank. Our yeast viabilities and lack of genetic drift are much improved from our old bottom cropping methods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	191841
    This shows our process of top cropping yeast into a yeast brink using a sanitary peristaltic pump

heres a video of a lady loading tubing into a B/T peri pump
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I'm really please that worked. As I said at the time, I wasn't totally sure, but knew peristaltic pumps had a degree of suction - just didn't know if it would cope with sucking frothy yeast without any head pressure. Well done, and thankyou for taking the risk and proving a workable system.

Cheers
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X